Butternut Squash Soup
Posted By Savita
Butternut squashes are best from early fall through winter. Due to a hard outer skin, I often roast squash to make curried sweet and sour squash during early fall (my family loves this dish), but these days I am all about soups. In-fact, I wanted to make an avocado soup today when my husband begged me to stop. How can I stop? Its just beginning of fall and this wonderful season is to enjoy and be creative with soups and stews. If you happen to visit - Soup Section on ChefDeHome, you’ll know I am more of a clear soup person because that’s what my husband loves most. However, this fall, I am trying to feed him some pureed or chunky hearty soups and stews. We will see how it goes. Today’s soup is flavorful, sauteed and pureed Butternut Squash Soup with tang from sun-dried tomatoes. Serve this soup hot with sour cream, pepper, and a rustic bread to dip in, if desired. With this recipe, I am starting a Fall Soup Series; you will see a lot of hearty soups and stews on ChefDeHome for days to come.
Total Time: Prep Time: Cook Time:
- 1/4 Cup Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 1 & 1/2 lbs Butternut Squash
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (small diced)
- 2 Garlic (cloves - chopped)
- Salt and Black Pepper (per taste)
- 1 tbsp Ginger (fine chopped)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Sour Cream (to serve - optional)
- 1. Slice butternut squash length-wise, that makes it easy to peel.
- 2. Remove the skin from slices and dice it in equal size 1-2 inch pieces.
- 3. Melt butter in a deep heavy bottom pan, add cumin seeds and squash and saute till fragrant about for 5-6 minute. Add ginger, garlic, onion, sun-dried tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until squash is tender, 20 minutes.
- 4. Use an immersion blender to puree the cooked squash in two batches. Puree will be hot, allow the heat to escape to prevent splattering. Stir in juice and 1 tsp salt (taste and adjust per taste). Serve hot, with sour cream & crushed black pepper.
MarianaI follow no rules when it comes to making squash soup, but your recipe looks great, have to try it.