How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
Let's get ready for your favorite autumn meals! Today, let's start with perfectly cooked Spaghetti Squash.
Posted By Savita
Sharing today my most trusted ways of cooking spaghetti squash - microwave, oven and an old-school favorite (pressure cooker). No matter which one will you choose to cook spaghetti squash.. this recipe will be your go-to reference to add low-carb spin to any of pasta/noodle dishes this fall.
True to it's name, once cooked and shredded – fibers of spaghetti squash look like Spaghetti noodles... which are gluten free, far healthier and amazingly filling. I'm so fascinated with texture of this squash that this DIY recipe was must to make to blog. Someone once said - we eat with our eyes. I believed in it even more when my not-so-veggie lover husband was impressed looking at bowl of cooked Spaghetti (squash) noodles. So, I thought just like myself there will be more newbies who are starting to introduce squash to their families this fall. And this recipe will be the foundation of all of their Fall Spaghetti Squash Adventures.
What do you say?
Let the adventure begin?!
- 2 Spaghetti Squash (*medium size, split in half)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt (generous 2-3 pinches)
Spaghetti Squash Microwave/Oven
- 1. OVEN - Preheat oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2. Slice Spaghetti squash in half, remove seeds and fibrous core. Drizzle 1 tbsp oil and brush to coat whole Spaghetti squash (cut side). Sprinkle salt. Place on baking sheet cut-side down.
- 3. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until Spaghetti squash is fork tender.
MICROWAVE - Slice Spaghetti squash in half, remove seeds and fibrous core. Drizzle 1 tbsp oil and brush to coat whole Spaghetti squash (cut side). Sprinkle salt. Place in microwave safe container, cut side down. Cook for 10-12 minutes. Check every 5 minutes for done-ness.
Additional Notes:Squash is ready in about 10-12 minutes depending on size.
- 5. PRESSURE COOKER: Fill pot of cooker, season with salt, add squash. Place lid and bring to pressure (first whistle) on high heat. Then lower heat and cook for 5-7 minutes. Medium squash cooks in about 5-6 whistles. Once cooked, leave cooker aside to release pressure. Then open and follow the next step to shred.
- 6. Once cooked, leave to cool for 5 minutes then lift cut-side up. Shred with two forks loosening the Spaghetti noodles as you shred. Use, in-place of Spaghetti noodles, as per the recipe.
Cooking time in microwave as well oven varies depending upon size of squash. I like to pick medium size squash from store which makes perfect 2 portions for dinner. Keep an eye on squash in last 10-15 minutes (oven) or 5 minutes (microwave) of cooking to avoid over cooking/browning.
*Cooked squash will stay good in refrigerator, in air-tight container for up-to 3 days.
When using cooked Spaghetti squash, try to minimize mixing too much which will soften the squash and noodles will not be very visible.