Easy Homemade Thai Green Curry
Vegan, gluten free, and healthy curry with homemade Thai green curry paste, maitake mushrooms, broccoli and crispy tofu.
Posted By Savita
Easy and flavorful Thai Green Curry dinner made with fresh homemade green curry paste and coconut curry sauce tossed with sauted broccoli, meaty maitake mushrooms, crispy tofu, and brown rice. This is a kind of vegetarian meal which will make even hardcore carnivores, crave tofu and mushrooms! It is THAT good!
Oh, and did I mention Thai curry is an excellent source of antioxidants too? And a flavorful base for variety of homemade meals. Mix one batch of green curry paste and then enjoy all of these: Thai curry soup, green curry chicken, green curry noodle bowl or this humble and simple vegetarian green curry with rice.
Speaking of this vegetarian Thai green curry.. every ingredient here adds some value to the meal. Honestly, there is nothing to not like here.. but a few things are my special favorite:
1. The green curry sauce is to die for. Silky smooth sauce with flavor of fresh chilies, subtle coconut flavor and aroma of curry spices. Like I said, sauce alone can be used so many ways. 2. My immediate next favorite is meaty and earthy maitake mushrooms....
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro (stem and leaves)
- 2 Jalapeno (remove seeds)
- 1/4 Cup Shallot Onions (about 1 medium onion, coarse chopped)
- 2 tbsp Lemon Grass (pale yellow part of two stalks only, or jest and juice of one lime)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (divided )
- 3 inch Ginger (peeled and coarse chopped )
- 6-8 Garlic (large cloves, about one medium head of garlic)
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder (**such as Madras curry powder)
- 1 tsp White Pepper (or black pepper)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1 Cup Coconut milk (8 ounce can of low-fat coconut milk)
- 4 Cup Rice (cooked)
- 140 Grams Mushrooms (5 ounce, fresh maitake mushroom)
- 1 Broccoli (head, broken in florets)
- 250 Grams Tofu (cubed)
Green Curry Paste
Veggie Curry Bowl
- 1. In a food processor, combine all paste ingredients and process to a make a paste.
- 2. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a skillet, add mushroom and saute until water evaporates, remove in a plate. Add tofu and broccoli, then saute until tofu is slight brown from all sides. Remove in same plate with mushrooms.
Heat a dry skillet, add paste and saute for 2 minutes or until oil show on sides. Add curry powder, salt and pepper and saute for 30 seconds. Add coconut milk with 1/2 cup water, cook for 2-3 more minutes or until sauce thickens and comes together. Taste and adjust salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Additional Notes:I added about 3/4 of the green curry paste.
- 4. In 4 bowls, add rice, top with portion of mushrooms, broccoli, and tofu. Ladle curry sauce on top. Garnish with toasted peanuts. Serve and enjoy!
**If not using curry powder, you can use equal part - coriander, cumin, 1/4 part mustard also