Cabbage Lentil Soup
One soup, two mighty ingredients - lentils and cabbage, and carefully selected nourishing roots and herbs, all come together in one instant pot, in just 20 minutes!!
Posted By Savita
This recipe combines two of my favorite soups in one pot - creamy lentil soup and healthy filling cabbage soup.
It is like vegetarian cabbage soup getting a dose of lentil proteins. First in this recipe, I combined the good nutrition of both: protein of lentils and filling nature of cabbage soup. Then, I added thoughtfully selected herbs and roots in soup to make healing and warming from with-in.
With winter storms everywhere, this is a lentil soup recipe which is both satisfactory filling and without lots of fat or carb calories. No one will judge, soup has no cream or thickener. It is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and even nut-milk-free.
I would not call it a diet soup but this is definitely a low-oil, no-meat, and no-cream soup which makes complete meal. You can serve a bread on side. For me, it is a complete meal. I like to save some raw cabbage while chopping the cabbage head for soup. I top it on hot bowl of soup for some crunch and freshness.
- 1 Cup French Lentils (or red lentils, dry lentils picked and thoroughly washed )
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (rough chopped )
- 1 lbs Cabbage (small chopped)
- 2 inch Ginger
- 2 inch Turmeric (fresh root or 1/2 tsp dried powder)
- 3 Garlic (cloves)
- 1/2 Jalapeno
- 4 tbsp Parsley (fresh leaves, chopped)
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 4 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce (8 ounce tomato sauce, prefer organic without preservatives)
- 1 tsp Salt and Black Pepper (1 tsp salt, black pepper per taste)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Hot Sauce (or chili flakes, use vegan and gluten free hot sauce)
- 1. In a food processor, add yellow onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, turmeric, 2 tbsp of parsley and grind to a coarse paste.
- 2. Heat oil in instant pot on saute setting. Add onion mixture with thyme and saute for 3-4 minutes or until mixture is slightly brown. Add washed lentils, bay leaf, 1/2 tsp salt, **chopped cabbage, and tomato sauce. Add 6 and 1/2 cups of water. Close the lid. Cook on lentil/chili setting or high pressure for *12 minutes.
- 3. Once cooked, let instant pot auto release the pressure or switch to venting setting to release pressure. After pressure has released, open the lid, add red wine vinegar, hot sauce, black pepper. Taste and adjust salt. Add remaining parsley. Serve with some fresh chopped cabbage on top. Enjoy!