Kale and Barley Soup
Posted By Savita
This low calorie vegetarian soup is perfect when we are planning to stay on diet but yet eat full stomach. The kale, filling barley, herbs and veggies not only make healthy soup but also a flavorful winter meal.
I have used homemade vegetable stock for this recipe. If you do not have time to make stock at home, use only a low sodium stock, preferably organic to avoid any preservatives.
- 1/2 Cup Barley Grain (dried)
- 1/2 Bunch Kale (small chopped)
- Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste)
- 2 tbsp Lemon (Juice and zest of 1 lemon)
- 2 tbsp Parsley (fresh leaves, small chopped)
- 1 Cup Mix Vegetables (frozen or fresh chopped carrot, beans, celery)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 inch Ginger (small chopped)
- 1 Garlic (clove, crushed)
- 6 Cup Vegetable Stock (preferable homemade)
- 1. Heat oil in a deep heavy bottom pan. Add veggies with garlic and ginger and saute until veggies are soft. (3-4 minutes)
Add 5 cups of vegetable stock, herbs, and barley. Bring to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender.
Additional Notes:Barley will still be little chewy in texture.
- 3. Now add salt (taste the soup base before adding salt since if using canned stock, it will already have salt in it). Add chopped kale leaves (discard stems), lemon zest and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes. Finish with fresh chopped parsley leaves and more lemon juice. Serve and enjoy!