Tuscan Panzanella Bread Salad
An Italian salad with bread, tomato and bell peppers with a lemony dressing!
Posted By Savita
Panzanella, a combination of crunchy cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, flavor-bomb dressing and rustic bread to soak in all savoury flavors!!
Oh Panzanella, I love you!
You guys, this bread salad.. I mean, Tuscan Panzanella, is a flavor bomb! I just can't stop, won't stop eating it whole spring-summer season.
Salads are so my love-affair whole year but specially in spring-summer season.. when fresh vegetables, such red bell peppers, tomatoes, greens, and spring onions are in season.. I crave for crunchy salads more than ever!
Panzanella is a Tuscan salad usually made with tomato and day-old stale bread with lemon olive oil based dressing. It is mostly enjoyed in summers since tomatoes are most juicy and sweet in that season. However, I also like to add fresh bell peppers in this salad for some crunch and load of vitamins. Plus, salad becomes more substantial too.
- 3 Cup Tomatoes (I used 1 pint red cherry and 2 roma tomatoes)
- 6-8 Rustic Italian Bread (Slices, or small loaf, cubed)
- 2 Bell Pepper (Red and yellow bell peppers, thin sliced, discard seeds)
- 2-3 Green Onion (scallion, thin chopped )
- 1 Cucumber (Halved and sliced )
- Salt and Black Pepper (per taste)
- 1/4 Cup Basil (or herbs of choice, chopped)
- 2 tbsp Capers
- 1/3 tsp Chili Flakes (optional )
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard (dijon mustard)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano (or 2-3 tbsp fresh chopped)
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil (2 tbsp each, divided )
- 1 tsp Garlic (1 clove, minced)
- 1.5 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1. Pre heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread the bread cubes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and toss with 2 tablespoons oil and a pinch of salt. Bake until they are dried out and golden brown but not burnt. (9 to 12 minutes.) Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
- 2. To make vinaigrette, in a bowl combine all dressing ingredients with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, whisk to emulsion and set aside.
- 3. In dressing add sliced cucumber, tomatoes cut into big bite size pieces, thin strips of bell pepper and scallions. toss well in dressing. Add toasted bread, capers, herbs. Toss to coat bread in dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hrs to overnight! (For more flavor soaked bread)
- 4. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Enjoy!