Mexican Watermelon-Jalapeno Agua Fresca
Posted By Savita
Just in time for Cinco De Mayo, sharing with you, a refreshing, zippy, no-alcohol party drink which is very popular all-over Mexican vicinity by name "Agua Fesca (Spanish - Cool Waters)"
I had no plans to show up and post recipe today.... seriously...... NO plans! But this is such a drink, and the pictures I clicked were so killer, I just could not hold on to it. Not even for one more day. So, here I'm, almost at the end of day, sharing a refreshing summer drink which is my favorite way to replenish myself in summer.
During summers, watermelon is probably, THE most favorite fruit of both of us. Our every grocery trip, Vishal will pick one watermelon... no matter what I say, he will.
And what happens when you buy a big watermelon?! Tell me?
Do you eat all of it?
Me? naah.... even though, I love watermelon, but it is such a fibrous and water-filled fruit that I'm done just after a bowl full! So what do you do with rest??
I use it various ways..... sorbets, ice pops, Agua Fresca, and even curries..
- 2 lbs Melon (watermelon, about half of medium size watermelon, 5-6 cups when diced)
- 1/4 Cup Lime (juice, about 2 limes, or more per taste)
- 1/2 Jalapeno (seeds and stem removed)
- 2 tbsp Agave Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1.5 Cup Water (filtered)
- Mint (for garnish)
Remove skin of water melon and dice into cubes. Add to blender or food processor with jalapeno seeds and stem removed. Blend until smooth.
Additional Notes:You can use more or less jalapeno as per liking. The amount I have added just gives a subtle heat at end of each sip.
- 2. Strain the mixture to remove all fiber. Discard fiber.
- 3. Mix agave syrup, salt, lime juice into the watermelon juice. Mix well. Taste and adjust lime juice, salt, or agave per liking. Pour over ice into serving glasses. Garnish with mint leaves and jalapeno (optional). Serve chilled and enjoy!!