Ambrosia, an amazingly creamy fruit salad, made with sweet soft fruits, marshmallows, coconut, crunchy almonds, and sweet and sour cream dressing.
Posted By Savita
One of my favorite, Ambrosia Salad is a fruit salad that can be served as side or as dessert. Ready in just 10 minutes, this creamy salad makes beautiful presentation on a holiday platter and is special favorite among kids.
For me, best about of ambrosia salad is creamy sour cream and sweet cream dressing. The slight sweetness of cream, tang of sour cream goes amazingly well with chunks of sweet pineapple, cherries and melt-in-mouth mini marshmallows. Bonus is the flavor of coconut with crunch of almonds and bite of mangoes here and there.
Traditional Ambrosia fruit salad uses very easy to find ingredients. Sweet fruits such as diced pineapple, orange segments, pitted maraschino cherries. mini marshmallows, shredded coconut, and slightly sweet whipped sweet cream and sour cream for creaminess. I like to use a wide variety of fresh and canned fruits in this salad... Only thing I make sure is to use fruits that are ripe, sweet, skinless or skinned, and seedless so that nothing comes between creamy melt-in-mouth bite of ambrosia and me!...
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/3 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Coconut (sweetened, shreded )
- 2 Cup Pineapple (one 20 ounce can of pineapple, drained)
- 3 Cup Mandarin orange (12 ounce, drained)
- 1 Cup Maraschino Cherry (8 ounce can, drained, pat dry, halved)
- 2 Cup Marshmallow (7 ounce bag of mini marshmallow)
- 1/4 Cup Almonds (silvered, optional)
- 1 Cup Mango (frozen, thawed, or fresh peeled and diced, both optional)
- 1. In a wide bowl, add cold heavy cream and sugar. Whip until soft peaks form, then whisk in sour cream.
- 2. Add in drained orange segments, pineapple, cherries, marshmallow, mango (if using), almonds (if using), and shredded coconut.
- 3. Fold cream gently with fruits. If serving as side salad, transfer to a glass serving bowl. or if serving as dessert, fill into single-serve dessert cups. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.