Roasted Chicken alla Limoncello
Day 8 of "15 days to Thanksgiving"
Posted By Savita
When I planned to roast some chicken for Sunday supper, I added a twist on my favorite roasted lemon chicken with limoncello and orange marmalade, and buttery-aromatic fennel. Sweet of marmalade, fennel met savory spices and citrus with sharp notes of limencello........ The result was a savory, aromatic, sweet and sour chicken roast with a finger-licking good taste.
Trust me! one plate of this chicken with side of some steamed rice or rustic Italian loaf, and you will hear nothing on dinner table...... except.... can I have some more?
My kitchen was filled with aroma of citrus scent and roasted fennel........ I can still sniff the scent while typing this post (in my imaginations of course! roasted chicken!! that is long gone.....)
Recipe has 4 servings, but quick cooking time and almost no active prep time makes this chicken a great dinner option for thanksgiving dinner for two. In-fact, you can replace chicken with turkey meat if you wish! Just adjust the roasting time to ensure bird is fully cooked. Except cooking time, I won't change a thing to...
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
- 2 tbsp Orange Jam (or use orange marmalade)
- 1 tbsp Mustard (dijon mustard)
- 4 Lemon (divided, 3 tbsp juice of about 1-2 large lemon, rest sliced thin rounds)
- 1 tbsp Thyme
- 4 tbsp Limoncello Lemon Liqueur
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper (as per taste)
- 2 lbs Chicken (breast, thighs, or a whole chicken)
- 2 Fennel Bulbs (core removed, rest thin sliced)
- 2 tbsp Parsley (fine chopped, for garnish)
- 2 tsp Fennel Seeds
Limoncello-Orange Marmalade Marinade
Make Marinade - In a large, less-deep and wide ovenproof dish or a rimmed sheet pan. Add all marinade ingredients, plus sliced lemons and fennel.
Additional Notes:I happened to be out of dijon mustard, so I have used tarragon-dijon mustard instead. However, for this recipe, I recommend using plain dijon mustard only.
- 2. Add chicken pieces, fennel seeds. Mix well to coat chicken and everything else in the marinade. I prefer to remove skin from chicken for personal pref, you can leave skin-on for a crispy roasted outer skin. Cover and let chicken marinade for at-least 1-2 hrs or overnight.
- 3. Pre-heat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Roast chicken uncovered for 35-45 minutes, until chicken is colored and cooked through. Remove from the oven.
- 4. Lift chicken, lemon, and fennel from the baking dish. Transfer rest of the contents in a sauce pan, bring to boil, then simmer until sauce has reduced by half. Pour hot sauce over the chicken and garnish with some cilantro/parsley. Serve with plain rice or tandoori naan.