Mediterranean Chicken Stew
Try this Mediterranean Chicken Stew for a warm and comforting one-pot chicken dinner loaded with Mediterranean herbs with hearty kale and cannellini beans. You will love the flavors!
This Mediterranean Chicken Stew recipe makes bold flavor packed and hearty Chicken Stew loaded with fragrant spices, kale and beans. It is a perfect bowl of comfort that you can make in less than an hour start to finish. Gluten free and can be dairy free when served without cheese.
Oh, also including instructions to make this stew in Instant Pot (very easy to adapt). Cooking in IP means even quicker cooking time and lesser perching on the stove. Check out Recipe Card for details.
So, let's learn to make delicious and flavorful Chicken Stew!
During winter this is our favorite chicken stew to serve for a hearty, and bone-warming dinner. The warmth and fragrance of oregano, aroma of chicken, delicious tomato broth with beans and light cheese on top (my favorite feta cheese). Yum!!
Mediterranean Chicken Stew
This recipe is inspired from the flavors of Greek. Chicken is simmered in flavorful broth seasoned with oregano, bay leaves, tomatoes, and finished with dino kale, feta cheese and my secret ingredients - red wine vinegar. (not so secret now).
If you like to snuggle with a warm bowl of stew in winter, this is the The recipe to try. If you are catering pick eaters, this
How to make flavorful base for Stew?
You can make a delicious stew by starting with right aromatics i.e. vegetables, herbs and spices to give complex flavor to the stew. I make stew base by sautéing aromatics, Mirepoix i.e. carrots, celery, and white onion (or sweet yellow onion for mellow onion flavor) with garlic and herbs. Cook onions and carrots until edges are slightly caramelized. This simple step releases sweetness from vegetables which gives stew a layer of complex flavor.
For herbs, in this Mediterranean chicken stew, I used dried oregano and bay leaves. If you don't have oregano, substitute with equal amount of the Italian seasoning or pizza seasoning, or equal part mix of dried basil and marjoram. I highly recommend using the bay leaves. If not, use fresh thyme or star anise.
Also, using a good chicken stock to make stew brings lots of flavor in the stew. I, however, even use water when making stew with fresh bone-in chicken. When fresh chicken and bines simmer in the stew, it release lot of flavor in the stew. So, really, you can make flavorful stew, without buying additional chicken stock, with plain water.
That said, Chicken stock is great condiment to quickly flavor soups, curries, and rice. Learn to make chicken stock from scratch using this Chicken Broth recipe.
How to Make Mediterranean Chicken Stew?
To make Chicken Stew, start by cooking the aromatics i.e. Mirepoix, herbs and garlic. Next add the diced chicken and cook until it is no longer pink. This step ensures juices are locked and chicken will be moist when simmered in the stew.
Next add remaining stew ingredients - tomatoes, sauce, stock, beans and salt. Simmer until broth is thick and vegetables are tender. Stir once or twice in-between cooking to ensure even cooking.
That's it. Once stew has simmered. Mix in chopped kale and simmer 1-2 minutes or until just wilted. Always adjust seasonings to taste. Ladle hot stew in bowls, garnish with parmesan and feta cheese. Enjoy!
Cooking Chicken Stew in INSTANT POT
Instant Pot makes this even quicker. Follow the the recipe card as it includes instruction to cook Chicken Stew in Instant Pot as well as Stove Top.
Note: I used 5 Quart Instant Pot for this recipe. Cooking time may vary when using smaller IP.
This stew will stay good in refrigerator up-to 4 days. Make sure to store in air-tight container.
To freeze, let stew cool down completely. Divide in small portions and freeze. Small portion size makes thaw and reheat easier.
If you like to snuggle with a warm bowl of stew in winter, this is the The recipe to try. If you are catering pick eaters, this soup becomes everyone's favorite fairly quickly. I specially enjoy the delicious tomato broth and just right cooked kale. Serve a hearty bread or salad on the side for a complete dinner.
Mediterranean Chicken Stewreviews) (10
- 1. Prep Ingredients: Cut chicken into 2 inch pieces. Grate cheese (if needed). Cut carrots, celery and onion to big 2 inch pieces. See Note 1.
- 2. Cook Aromatics: Heat a large deep dutch oven or Instant Pot at sauté setting. Add olive oil, followed by garlic, carrots, celery, onion with Italian seasoning. Cook stirring often until onions are slightly brown at edges.
- 3. Sauté Chicken: Add diced chicken with 1/2 tsp of salt. Cook stirring often until chicken is no longer pink.
- 4. Simmer Stew: Add rinsed beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to rolling boil and cover and then simmer at medium-high heat for 30 minutes. Or pressure cook in Instant Pot at high for 15 minutes.
- 5. Add Kale: Stir stew content once, then add rough chopped kale. Cover and simmer for additional 2 minutes.
- 6. Adjust seasoning, garnish and serve: Add red wine vinegar. Taste and adjust salt. Add black pepper. Ladle stew into bowls. Garnish with parmesan cheese and crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle olive oil on top just before serving (optional). Serve with bread or as-is. Enjoy!
- If buying pre-cut mirepoix, look for large cut carrots, celery and onion. Large cut vegetables will stand well to longer cooking of the stew.
- This Chicken Stew is Dairy Free when served without cheese.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.