Mediterranean Chickpeas Salad with Herb-Citrus Vinaigrette
A flavorful, lite, and healthy dinner salad, in just 10 minutes!!!
Posted By Savita
A 10 minute hearty dinner salad packed with proteins, vitamins, anti-oxidants, and a flavorful herb-citrus dressing! Wherever I'm time-pressed, this superfast and filling salad is my easy fix, for a lite and healthy summer dinner or even a lunch!
Past few weeks, my schedule has kept me very busy..... feels like time just flying!! Today, while sharing this post, I realized, we are already 6 months into year 2015 and it feels like New Year Eve was just yesterday!! Isn't it? Am I the only one feeling this or you can relate too?
Whenever I have a busy or uptight schedule, I love keeping some hearty and easy food options to serve for dinner or lunch! Like when Vishal is too busy in office and has too late evening or too-early morning office-hours, Or when blog is keeping me extra-busy, my quick and healthy salads always keep me dinner-worry-free!
I'm sure, I shared with you before that my family is not vegetarian. However, even though we are not vegetarians, there are many days in week when don't eat or cook meat/chicken due to religious reasons. Luckily, veg...
- 2 tbsp Oranges (fresh juice, plus get 1/2 tsp orange zest)
- 1 tbsp Lemon (fresh juice, plus get 1/2 tsp zest)
- 1 tbsp Oregano (fresh leaves, fine chopped)
- Salt (a pinch or two)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2-3 tbsp Mint (fresh leaves, julienne )
- Black Pepper (as per taste)
- 2 Cup Chickpeas (16 ounce, cooked, rinsed if using canned)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (small diced)
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (half medium onion, small diced)
- 1 Cucumber (medium size, small diced)
- 2 Tomatoes (medium size, small diced, remove seeds if prefer)
- 1/4 Cup Olives (green olives, water packed, drained)
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranates (or more per liking)
- 1. To make dressing, in a wide salad bowl, add juice and zest of orange, zest and juice of lemon, with olive oil and fine minced oregano. Whisk with hand-whisk to emulsify the oil and citrus. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 2. Drain chickpeas and add to salad bowl with dressing. Also add chopped onion. Mix then set aside to let chickpeas and onion marinate in dressing while you cut rest of the veggies.
- 3. Once all veggies are sliced, add into salad bowl and toss well to combine. Also add olives and fresh mint. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Dressing in this salad is very lite and uses very less oil per serving. However, dressing recipe doubles easily. If you want, you can also double batch.