Vegan Caesar Salad
Vegan Caesar Salad with spiced roasted chickpeas, homemade torn bread croutons and delicious vegan Caesar dressing. Healthy protein packed vegan version of Caesar Salad that you can make in 25 mins
Vegan Caesar Salad - a delicious take on Caesar Salad with crispy roasted chickpeas, vegan Caesar dressing, and homemade torn bread croutons. Every fork-full of this Caesar Salad is party of flavors; with crunch of cucumbers, sweet cherry tomatoes and creamy 5-min vegan Caesar dressing. What not to like?! A must-try salad for every Caesar Salad fan like myself.
This Caesar Salad makes a great healthy and delicious salad-for-dinner. It has everything I desire from a good hearty dinner salad - protein, greens, bread and a satisfactory creamy caesar dressing made with cashew nut butter. Dressing is so good you will love it as substitute vegan dressing on any kind of salad.
Let's make Vegan Caesar today!
A salad such as this is perfect to transform to your personal liking. For example; substitute part romaine with kale, substitute or add a heart healthy avocado Or use a crunchy seasonal salad green of your choice.
I only ask to make vegan caesar dressing as-is and don’t skip the cumin spiced chickpeas as these are the flavors of this vegan caesar recipe.
What Do You Need To Make Vegan Caesar Salad?
Here is what you need to make Vegan Cesar Salad:
- Romain Hearts
- Cumin Powder
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing (recipe included)
Roasted Chickpeas For Caesar Salad
Chickpeas are a healthy and plant-based protein packed substitute for vegan diet. The neutral earthy flavor of chickpeas take any flavor you add to these. Specially the spices and citrusy flavor go very well with chickpeas. This is why I roast chickpeas with cumin ( and often with some sumac) for perfect flavor.
Use a sheet pan and add seasoned chickpeas in single layer and roast in the oven.
Homemade Croutons For Vegan Caesar Salad
Homemade torn-bread croutons need three ingredients:
- Few slices of day old rustic bread such as French/Country bread slices.
- Olive Oil
I bake croutons at the same time roasting chickpeas. Both roast at the same temperature. Using two small sheet pans that fit side by side in middle rack saves time. (You can also bake chickpeas and croutons one after another.)
Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
The vegan creamy Caesar salad dressing is very easy to make and a versatile dressing. The main ingredient for vegan Caesar dressing is Cashew Butter. It provides a perfect neutral creamy base for dressing without any mayo or cream. I use a couple of tablespoons of hot water to blend cashew butter with other ingredients and to get the creamy salad dressing consistency.
If you can’t find cashew butter, use peanut butter and adjust sugar to taste. Or grind cashews soaked in water for 10 minutes in blender until smooth paste forms.
For today's recipe you need following ingredients:
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- Cashew Butter
- Nutritional yeast (optional but recommended)
- Salt, sugar and Pepper
To make the Caesar Salad dressing, in a medium bowl mix all ingredients except yeast and salt Add hot water 1 tbsp at a time until dressing is smooth. Mix in nutritional yeast. Taste and adjust salt.
Once the chickpeas and croutons are ready. The assembly of Caesar salad is very simple. I like to massage romaine in dressing for a perfectly creamy caesar salad experience.
…and then layer everything on a salad platter. Top with nutritional yeast for nutty parmesan like flavor. Serve and enjoy!
Honestly, making a delicious filling salad such as this Vegan Cesar Salad at home helps me fit this easily to my diet preferences. For example;
- Skip crouton and salad is also Gluten Free.
- Swap half of the romaine with spinach and arugula for greens loaded Caesar Salad.
Another reader favorite is mayo-free vegetarian Caesar Salad Dressing on the blog. I get rave reviews from everyone who tries it.
Today's recipe is a upgrade of classic Caesar Salad with a mouthwatering and healthy vegan twist.
Friends, this vegan Caesar Salad is healthy, nutritious with serving of protein; all coated in a creamy and vegan version of Italian Caesar salad dressing. You can even keep it low-carb by skipping croutons.
Dressing will stay good in refrigerator for 3-4 days. Must try as I know you will love the flavors.
Vegan Caesar Saladreviews) (5
- 1. Prep Chickpeas And Croutons: Position an oven rack in middle. Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. On a small sheet pan, add rinsed and pat dried chickpeas. Drizzle oil and seasoning on the top. Coat chickpeas in seasonings. On another baking sheet, add torn pieces of bread. Drizzle oil, generous pinch of salt and pepper. Coat well.
- 2. Roast Chickpeas and Croutons: Roast chickpeas in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until chickpeas are crispy. Keep an eye in last few minutes. Don’t let chickpeas burn. Bake croutons for 10-12 minutes or until croutons are crispy. Remove from oven. Set aside to cool completely.
- 3. Make Vegan Caesar Dressing: In a bowl add all of the dressing ingredients except yeast and salt. Add a tbsp hot water at time to smooth the dressing until a creamy yet salad dressing consistency achieved. I use about 2 tbsp of water. Add half salt and yeast and capers. Mix in. Taste and adjust the salt if needed.
- 4. Assemble Caesar Salad: Add romaine, remaining capers. and cucumber to bowl with dressing. Toss to coat romaine in the dressing. Transfer tossed romaine on a platter or large salad bowl. Top with halved cheery tomatoes, roasted chickpeas and croutons. Top with remaining nutritional yeast. Enjoy!
- If you can’t find cashew butter, use peanut butter and adjust sugar to taste. Or grind cashews soaked in water for 10 minutes in blender until smooth paste forms.
- If not using sumac, splash some lemon juice on chickpeas and salad before eating.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Leave a Message:
Did you try the recipe? Do you have feedback or a question? Leave a message below.
StaceyDo you think tahini could be used in place of the cashew butter for the dressing?
SavitaI like the nutty sweetness of cashews in the dressing. You can use tahini but but please adjust sweetness to taste.
DanaThis was such an easy adaptation to the classic caesar, and super delicious!
SavitaThanks. You got it. 👍
GinaCaesar salad is one of my favorites. I really love this vegan option. Nothing like homemade dressing!
SavitaThanks. Our liking for Caesar is mutual. There are more Caesar salad recipes on the blog. I hope you get chance to explore and try. 🙌
DebI loved the addition of the capers in this salad. It was super delicious!
SavitaThanks. Capers give vegan Caesar Salad briny flavor like anchovies in real Caesar salad.
CaseyLOVED the dressing on this salad! It was super light and fresh! Will be making this over and over!
SavitaThanks for letting me know. I'm glad you loved the dressing.
KathrynI love how this casesar is vegan and still delicious! It still tastes like a classic caesar and we all loved it!
SavitaThanks for the sharing your feedback. 👍