Chocolate Churro Waffles
A 'Churro' Breakfast with indulgent touch of chocolate!!!
Posted By Savita
Breakfast just got better with a 20 minute nostalgic fair-style cinnamon-sugar churro turned to a crispy Chocolate Churro Waffles. Yeah! Starting Monday with an eggless, crispy, churro Waffles for breakfast with cup of hot chai tea!
Oh - and guess what? These churro waffles come together so fast, I never have to think twice before making a batch!
Chocolate churro recipe is my re-take on eating churros crisped without fryer in the metal plates of my iron waffle.. this time I made them with chocolate.
Why Chocolate? Well, if you like churros (of course you do ;) ) .... I bet you know how much a chocolate sauce compliments a crispy Mexican churro?! So I thought why not combine this killer churro-chocolate duo into the churro batter to unit them for ever! (so romantic! and valentine's day is long gone ;))
Actually best way to eat churro is: hold in hand and munch away! Total street-fair style! But it won't be that nice to make both hand busy, one holding chocolate and one churro! Hence? Chocolate Churro!
- 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder (unsweetend)
- Heavy Cream (sweetened, whipped cream)
- 1.5 tbsp Cinnamon
- 4 tbsp Sugar
Chocolate Churro Dough for Waffles
- 1. In a plate or bowl, mix flour with cocoa powder until well combined. Set aside.
- 2. Set the waffle iron to preheat. In a wide sauce pan, add water with sugar, salt and let warm. Add butter and stir few times, until butter has just melted and sugar dissolved. (don't boil water)
Reduce heat to lowest. Add cocoa and all purpose flour mix into water. And use whisk to combine.
Additional Notes:I often combine the flour into water with whisk, so as to avoid lumps, and then fold dough using spatula while cooking.
- 4. Cook dough on medium heat for 1-2 minute until dough comes together and thin film form at the bottom of pan. Remove dough from pan on a to plate and divide into 4-8 equal parts depending upon size of waffle iron. I divide dough into 4 parts.
Spray waffle iron with cooking spray, then place two portions of dough on hot waffle iron. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until waffles iron indicator is green.
Additional Notes:(Keep an eye after 4 minutes, chocolate waffles tend to get dark very quickly
- 6. Transfer the hot waffles into a plate with cinnamon and sugar and coat generously. Repeat steps 5 and 6 to cook remaining waffles.
- 7. Fold sliced strawberries into sweetened whipped cream. Serve waffles hot with strawberry whipped cream, serve and enjoy!