Gluten Free Moist Chocolate Carrot Cake
A super moist gluten free, and dairy free Carrot Cake made with nut butter and cocoa powder.
Posted By Savita
Just in time for Easter, sharing a delicious Carrot Cake which will be the BEST gluten free moist and decadent chocolate Carrot Cake you ever enjoy! I promise!
This Carrot Cake is not dry like average store-bought carrot cakes yet has no oil or butter or dairy in it. Oh, and made with just almond butter, this cake is rich and decadent with delicious chocolate taste.
I totally dedicate this Chocolate Carrot Cake to my love for fresh fruit (today veggie) based cakes. I guess, that's all I end up sharing most of the time - sweet baked treats with fruits. Somehow, I love the idea of using fresh flavor in cakes. Carrots in cake was long due in to-share list yet I did not like most carrots cakes sold in stores. All tends to be dry and depend heavily on frosting for moisture.
So I decided work on Carrot Cake recipe which will you can devour without frosting! Seriously, this cakes needs no frosting or syrups yet tastes so moist. Don't get carried away with the chocolate because this cake has delicious carrot cake taste. Almost like a moist chocolate fudge carrot cake.
As you know, this Carrot Cake is gluten free. I didn't keep it gluten free just for dietary reasons. The gluten free cakes are also the most moist cakes ever. Since there is no flour or gluten to absorb fats or liquid from cake batter... cake comes out moist as if brushed with syrup.
My initial plan was just carrot cake and no chocolate... Yet, blogs are so so filled with carrot cake recipes right now... It did not feel right to through in one more recipe... I mean, what will I sell it for? Yet another moist carrot cake?! lol! That being said, chocolate is not just there to make this recipe a different carrot cake... I added it because Vishal loves chocolate and was not ready to try carrot cake. He clearly declared.. either make something with chocolate or I'm buying something from bakery.
:) Scared enough, I decided to combine my wishes with his.... A chocolate carrot cake..... then a chocolate carrot cake it is! I will make it fabulous.. (I was saying to myself)
Let me tell you a secret - I did not tell him it is gluten free until he enjoyed two slices and was all "ga ga ga" for the delicious taste. Ask why? Well, if he knew I mixed health in dessert.... he assumes it is not going to taste good. Then eventually, I also told him, this chocolate cake has no dairy, or butter or oil either.. just nut butter. lol! Had lots of fun looking at his face. "Really!!"
Now, you might think... gluten free, dairy free... why not "vegan"? I will say, eggs are an important ingredient in this cake which give it some body and makes it lite and fluffy. So no substitutes for eggs please. This cake needs eggs to be this moist and delicious fudge-y carrot cake.
Honestly, this is such a cake recipe in which I wouldn't change a thing.
For special occasions, it is okay to indulge in little sweet treats. This week, it is Holi (festival of colors) in India and Easter week is already going on here. So I was torn between which dessert to share first?! No, I'm not trying to adjust you with cake for Holi ;) I honestly couldn't find time to work pictures for other recipe.... I will get it to you before you get ready to celebrate. I promise! Also, it will be an easy dessert which won't keep you busy in kitchen for long. :) Sounds good?
I'm also sharing this cake for two of my followers. One of which requested a carrot cake recipe and other one who has serious complain that I don't bake/post enough sweet treats on the blog.
Thing is, I don't have that big sweet tooth. I'm a savory fanatic. So even my sweet treats mostly get touch of savory. But I totally hear you guys. Thanks for taking time to ask... I will try my best to be regular in sharing some sweets on the blog. :)
Gluten Free Moist Chocolate Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Carrot Cake
- 1 Cup Almonds (butter or cashew butter)
- 1.5 Cup Carrots (grated 6 carrots)
- 2/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 4 Egg(s) (yolk and white separated )
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon (+ 1/2 tsp allspices)
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar (whisked in 2 tbsp milk)
- Carrots (baby carrots, glazed or candied, optional)
1. Preheat oven at 350 Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, add egg yolks with granulated sugar and whisk until pale yellow.
3. Add almond/cashew butter and grated carrots with salt, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well until almond butter butter is not lumpy. Set aside.
4. In stand mixer or bowl with whisk attachment, add egg whites and whisk until soft peaks form. (2-3 minutes)
5. Fold the egg whites into egg yolks in three small batches. Combine with cut and fold gentle strokes so the egg whites don't loose volume.
6. Transfer batter to prepared baking sheet. Level with spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. (keep an eye after 18 minutes. Cake mostly cooks in 20 minutes.)
7. Once baked, remove from oven and leave in sheet for 5 minutes before sliding the cake with parchment onto wire rack. Once cool to touch, drizzle with sugar-milk icing, cut into pieces and decorate with glazed carrots (if using)
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.
Let's Connect: Facebook, Pinterest.
Check Products We Use: CDH Amazon Shop (Affiliate Links)
What Recipe You Like Next?: Request a Recipe