Honey Almond Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
Many thanks to Blue Diamond Almonds for sponsoring this post. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
A gluten free, flour-less, and dairy free chocolate cake made with olive oil, honey, and almonds meal. This moist chocolate cake uses simple pantry ingredients and tastes exceptionally moist and decadent.
I paired this cake with crunchy Honey Roasted Blue Diamond Almonds and fresh raspberries for pleasant contrast of texture and taste.
I love serving simple cakes for holiday and family gatherings which can be assembled and baked in very less time. Often, some of my guests are on gluten free or dairy free diet. So my desserts are such which everyone can enjoy. I love the fact that this saves me from spending double time on dessert. :)
Plus what's better than a dessert which comes with promise of no gluten, no dairy, natural sweetness of honey and yet moist chocolate taste?! Who will say no to that?! Ask me, I'm even in for a second serving and for the record... so are my guests!
I'm huge fan of Blue Diamond Almond's quality and unique flavors. Recently, when Blue Diamond sent me few samples of their lite sweet and delicious Honey Roasted Almonds.... I just could not stop munching them. The sweet honey roasted crunchy almonds are perfect lite snack and even make delicious addition to any holiday party platter. For my holiday get-togethers, I love serving a bowl of lite salted roasted Blue Diamond Almonds and Honey Roasted Almonds for some sweet and salty healthy holiday munching.
I have been thinking to bake a gluten free Almond Cake to serve for a holiday family get together. Honey Roasted Almond just fit perfectly in the theme. Idea was a moist yet rich cake but dairy free and gluten free. Inspired for sweetness of natural honey in almonds, I also decided to skip refined sugar and use honey for the cake recipe which made the cake even more moist.
Almond meal soaks the moisture from honey, and olive oil giving this cake moist almost a milk-fudge like texture. Paired with fresh raspberries and crunchy almonds for some texture and extra sweetness..... this cake turned out to be favorite of even no-diet restriction guests too!!
This cake recipe has been adapted from Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Olive Cake. I'm huge fan of her gluten free baking. Here is the link to recipe for Clementine Almond Cake I shared before. Often my gluten free cakes are inspired from her recipes and this one is no different. However, other than being gluten free, this cake is also dairy free and has no sugar. So this cake, even though inspired yet is different from her Chocolate Olive Cake.
I also served some fresh whipped cream on the side. For blog, I have not included the whipped cream since I wanted to keep the cake dairy-free. Feel free to serve some cream on the side if you prefer. Or If you want to serve it dairy-free, a little bit whipped coconut cream also works perfect. Or stewed cherries will also make a great pairing.
Oh, and any leftovers of this cake are perfect for tea-time snacking. Cake stays good for 2-3 days. In fact texture of almond cakes are even better the next day. In short, this chocolate cake is perfect to bake a day in advance.
Merry Christmas Everyone! And Happy Holidays!!
Try these simple yet elegant and deliciously simple Cakes for Holidays.
Honey Almond Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
- Olive Cake
- 1 and 3/4 Cup Almond Meal
- 1/2 Cup Honey (preferably organic honey)
- 3 Egg(s)
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil (extra virigin)
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder (loosely packed)
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 tsp Salt (a generous pinch of table salt)
- 1/2 Cup Almonds (such as Honey Roasted Blue Diamond Almonds)
- 1 Cup Raspberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a spring foam pan with cooking spray and set aside. Also, combine almond meal, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- 2. Heat water in a microwave safe container for 30 seconds. Remove in small bowl. Mix in cocoa powder and honey until fully dissolved and lump free. Set aside to cool completely.
3. In a wide mixing bowl, add three eggs with vanilla extract and olive oil. Whisk using hand held whisk or using stand mixer until fluffy and pale yellow.4. Add cooled chocolate-honey mixture to the eggs and mix well.
5. Fold in almond mixture into egg-chocolate mixture. Transfer to spring pan and bake for 55 - 65 minutes. Additional Notes: Mixture might look little runny but don't worry, almond meal and eggs soak-up everything as cake bakes in the oven.6. Bake until cake is springy and tooth pick inserted in the center comes out dry (not wet) with a few almond crumbs attached. Transfer to wire rack and let it cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool completely before slicing.
- 7. For serving, dust with powdered sugar, top with fresh raspberries and Honey roasted Almonds. Serve for evening tea or for a lite and healthy Christmas Brunch. Enjoy!!
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.