Honey Sriracha Roasted Acorn Squash Quinoa Bowl
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Acorn Squash stuffed with quinoa and baked tofu!
Posted By Savita
Sweet and Spicy, Honey and Sriracha Roasted Acorn Squash stuffed with garlicky quinoa, baked tofu and cilantro oil. This recipe can be a vegetarian's Thanksgiving feast or fall inspired meatless Monday Quinoa Bowl packed with nutrients and TON of flavor. Gluten free.
Simple and flavorful honey, sriracha, soy glaze does double duty for this recipe. It glazes the Roasted Acorn Squash to a delicious sweet-spicy golden finish. Plus it is marinade for baking tofu. The dish might sound complex but actually it is not. To save time, I baked Tofu and finished roasting Acorn squash at the same temperature and at same time. This way, total time to make this meal is same as time needed to roast acorn squash.
Let's roast and stuff some acorn squash today!!
This season, we have completed guide, on CDH, to roast/cook all main varieties of squash:
Roast PumpkinRoast Butternut SquashRoast Spaghetti SquashCook Delicata SquashRoast Acorn Squash, for stuffing (today's recipe) and wedges.
- 2 Acorn Squash (cut in half to make 4 bowls)
- 1 lbs Tofu (extra firm, cut in bite-size squares)
- Soy Sauce (gluten free tamari soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (half tbsp and rest divided )
- Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- Sesame Seeds
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (small diced)
- 3 Garlic (clove, 1 for quinoa and 2 for oil divided)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
Baked Acorn Squash and Tofu
- 1. Drain, wrap tofu in paper towel and press for 10 minutes to remove as much water as possible. Preheat oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. For Quinoa: Heat half tablespoon oil in deep sauce pan. Add onion and saute until onions are soft. Add quinoa and toast it for 3 minutes. Add minced garlic, cumin, with salt ( I used a little more than 1/2 tsp) and 1.5 cup water. Mix well. Bring to boil. Simmer until all water has been absorbed. Keep it covered until ready to use.
- 3. For Acorn Squash: Place halved squash on baking sheet with cut side down and bake for 20-25 minutes or until acorn squash is golden.
In bowl mix, remaining 1.5 tbsp olive oil, 2 part sriracha, and 2 part soy sauce ( I used 2 tsp sriracha and 2 tsp soy, adjust per taste). Mix well. Season with pinch of salt and black pepper. Divide sauce in half. Coat tofu in half of sauce. Place on other second baking sheet.
Additional Notes:Picture shows baked tofu.
- 5. Once acron squash as baked for 20 minutes and golden. Mix honey (1 tsp) in remaining half of sriracha-soy sauce. Brush inside of baked squash with generous coat. Return squash cut side up bake to oven along with another sheet full of tofu. Bake both for 20 minutes or until acorn squash is knife tender and tofu is brown at edges and crispy.
- 6. To assemble, fill each acorn squash with quinoa, drizzle *cilantro oil (recipe in notes) on top. Top with baked tofu, sliced jalapeno and cilantro leaves. Serve and enjoy!
Cilantro Garlic Oil In food processor combine 1/4 cup cilantro leaves with 2 garlic cloves, a tbsp lime juice and 1/5 tbsp olive oil with 1/4 tsp salt. Process until smooth. Remove in bowl and set aside.