Spiced Scallion Flat Bread
Indian Green Onion Paratha
Posted By Savita
Indian Flat breads spiced, stuffed, fried or plain, all are staple breakfast breads in my home. As a child, I often used to wonder, how my mother rolls so good round flat breads. Now I know how :) But I had fun time learning this skill. When I was learning to roll breads, my brother used to stand in the kitchen and laugh at me all the time. He often said that I dance when rolling bread, bread is not rolling, I roll myself to make it round :) ha ha ha. If you ask him today and he will still say that I dance when I roll the bread ;).
Indian bread can have N number of fillings or seasoning added to them to make'em suitable for your taste. Green onions (scallions) are my special favorite for their mild sweet onion flavor.
To save time, knead the dough at night and in morning just roll the breads, shallow fry'em and enjoy delicious, filling breakfast with goodness of greens and whole wheat.
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Spiced Scallion Flat Bread
- 2 Cup Wheat Flour
- 5-6 Green Onion (Or scallions stems and bulbs fine chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3-4 tbsp Cilantro
- 1-2 Hot Green Pepper (small) (fine minced small green peppers or 1/4 of Jalapeno fine chopped )
- 3-4 tbsp Canola Oil (for shallow frying)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Optional)
1. Make Dough - In bowl, add minced green pepper, diced onion green onions, salt, black pepper, wheat flour with 1 tbsp oil. Now add 1 cup water and make a smooth dough. If dough appears dry, add more water (few tbsp at a time) till dough comes together and is neither sticky nor dry. Let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes before making breads.
2. Roll Flat Breads - Heat an iron griddle or flat skillet. On a board dusted with wheat flour, take out dough. Divide into 8 to 10 equal size balls. Dust with flour to stop sticking with board. Use rolling pin to roll the dough to 5 inch circle.
3. Cook - Place the flat bread (one at a time) on heated skillet, add 1/2 tsp oil and sear it for 2-3 minutes on one side.
4. Turn and add 1/2 tsp oil on other side and sear it for 2-3 minutes.
5. Serve - Repeat Step 3 and 4 for all remaining uncooked flat breads. Serve hot with Butter or Indian Style Pickle or Cucumber Raita. Check out Raita and Pickle recipes in pairing suggestions.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.