Cinnamon Sugar Churro Waffles
Calling all Mexican food fans for a 'Churro' Breakfast!!
Posted By Savita
This weekend, I'm giving you a delicious reason to dig your waffle iron out of the cupboard, with my eggless, crispy, golden Waffles slathered in Cinnamon Sugar!
Oh - and guess what? These waffles will be the best tasting street fair churros you ever had!!!
Feeling nostalgic? Me too!!!
Street Fair is THE place where I first tasted Churro and I fell in love with it, at first bite!
Oh boy! I must tell you, when I ate churro first time, I did not realize a 1/2 foot long fried piece of dough will disappear, from my cinnamon-sugar slathered paper napkin, in seconds! On top of that, I'll be still hungry for one more!! Seriously, I finished churro, and were eagerly looking for NEXT Churro shop. Can you believe this?
I clearly remember, we were newbies to street fair that day and Vishal was carrying very less paper money. He could see in my eyes, the desire of ONE more churro that he specially took some money from ATM and bought me one more.
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- Heavy Cream (sweetened, whipped cream)
- 1.5 tbsp Cinnamon
- 4 tbsp Sugar
Churro Dough for Waffles
Set the waffle iron to preheat. In a heavy bottom sauce pan, add water, sugar, salt, and butter and heat, stirring once or twice, until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. (just 1-2 minutes)
Additional Notes:Don't boil the water. Once butter has melted, just stir the water to dissolve sugar in warm water.
Remove pan from heat. Add all of the all purpose flour. (Keep a whisk or spatula ready to combine the dough)
Additional Notes:I often combine the flour into water with whisk, so as to avoid lumps, and then fold dough using spatula while cooking.
- 3. Return the pan to medium heat and cook the dough for 2 minutes or until dough is shiny and leaves a film of flour on the sides of pan.
Remove the dough from pan and divide into two equal portions. Keep one covered, and divde the other into yet another two parts.
Additional Notes:If you waffle iron can cook 4 waffles at-a-time, then you can use all the dough.
- 5. Spray waffle iron with cooking spray, then place two portions of dough onto waffle iron and close the lid. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until waffles iron shows the green light of completion. (Keep an eye after 4 minutes, don't let waffles burn).
- 6. Transfer the hot waffles into a plate with cinnamon and sugar and coat generously. Repeat steps 5 and 6 to cook remaining waffles.
- 7. Serve waffles hot with sliced strawberries (optional) and dollop of sweet whipped cream. Enjoy!