Skinny Firecracker Cauliflower Rice Bowl
Posted By Savita
One more firecracker recipe, so soon? Well, need I say I looove firecrackers?! Be it in sky on Diwali or be it in mouth with sweet and sour and hot firecracker sauce.. there is something exciting about these. Don't you think?
Today's recipe is my skinny take on firecracker cauliflower with marinated cauliflower florets, sauted on high heat to keep it crunchy and then coated in sweet and spicy finger-licking firecracker sauce. Yes, it is THAT simple recipe!
I call it skinny because it is plant-based, plus there is no breading, no eggs or corn starch, nor deep frying involved here. Just quick pan saute of cauliflower florets to keep them crisp tender, and then the magic of firecracker sauce.
For weekday dinner, I'm always looking for easy dinner ideas which are flavorful, healthier, and will keep my family from eating out. This crunchy sweet-n-sour cauliflower comes together in 10 minutes while I boil/steam rice on the side. And tastes like vegetarian make-over of Chinese sweet and sour chicken! No one feels they are eating boring yet my mission...
- 1/2 lbs Cauliflower (broken into florets)
- 4 Green Onion (thin sliced)
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Hot Sauce (buffalo hot sauce, check label for gluten free)
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Sambal Chili Paste (divided)
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce (gluten free tamari soy sauce)
- 1-2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1. Cook (steam or boil) rice according to package directions. While rice are cooking, take cauliflower florets in a bowl, add 1 tsp seasme oil, 1 tsp sambal paste, 1 tsp soy sauce. Toss well and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine remaining 1 tsp soy sauce, red wine vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, 1 tsp sambal chili paste. Mix well and set aside.
- 3. Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a saute pan, add cauliflower and cook on high heat until slightly tender. Add firecracker sauce (assembled in step-2) and half of sliced green onions and continue saute until sauce is dark in color.
- 4. Divide into two bowl over portion of rice. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Garnish with scallions and cilantro. Serve hot. Enjoy!