Cheesy Baked Tortilla Chips
This game day, serve different kind of Chips and Salsa. Try these Crispy Stuffed Oven Baked Tortilla Chips that fly from oven to party platter in 15 minutes!
Whether you forgot to buy bag of chips for party or just want to serve something different with Salsa. Either way, these Cheese Stuffed Baked Tortilla Chips will not disappoint. Just 15 minutes, these delicious crispy chips, fly from kitchen to party platter. You will love the crunch and crisp baked chips with seasoned cheese stuffing. Our family favorite game day snack!
No matter, big party or small, there is always room for chips and salsa. Don't you think? This recipe ups the level of homemade baked tortilla chips, making them delicious and better than bag of store bought chips.
I'm obsessed with serving chips and salsa in all get-together. It is so easy to make a salsa or dip and chit-chat continues while chips last in bowl. Often, I buy bag of chips and go fancy with dips such as 7 Layer Black Bean Dip, Fiesta Cheese Dip or Garlic Guacamole This recipe was surprise creation on one such day when I left my favorite bags of chips in store. It was super bowl, the big game-day. Hmm.. I had tortilla in refrigerator. But I neither wanted to fry chips and nor ready to serve plain simple baked chips. So I decided to go little fancy. I stuffed-up plain tortilla with a layer of fiesta cheese blend and some seasonings. What an amazing twist. It was like seasonings the chips from with-in. As if chips too are getting ready to watch the games.
Who did not ask me about chips that day! It was a crazy hit. Simple 4 ingredient recipe can change the chemistry of party. I'm a believer.
Trust me, everyone loved the idea while munching on crispy cheesy baked chips and was saying - I need recipe. I'll bake these for my next party. I'll serve for my daughter's birthday. On and on it went..
Right there I knew I have a recipe to share on blog. This recipe is a revive from last year. I first shared it in 2017 but wasn't happy with all the pictures. Today, I updated recipe with my notes, few new pictures, and have video coming soon.
So, let's dig in!
Simple Baked Tortilla Chips:
First of all, if you are here looking for simple baked tortilla chips recipe. Don't get disappointed. I can tell you that same instructions work for baking simple salted/or spicy seasoned tortilla chips as well. In-fact this is my go-to recipes to bake chips whenever. Simply brush/spray the wheat tortillas with some cooking oil and sprinkle some salt. Then bake in preheated oven until tops are slightly brown and getting crispier. Works like charm every time. No oil needed, plus healthy delicious homemade chips to enjoy.
Cheesy Baked Tortilla Chips:
This is recipe with cheese stuffing can only be baked not fried. If fried, cheese will melt and ooze out.. So baking is the way to go. Plu sit is healthier. Only make sure to not over-stuff tortillas with cheese or you will have cheese-crisps to serve on side of tortillas.
Like I went little crazy with filling few of the tortillas and I had cheese crisp hanging-out of a few chips.. Cheese crips taste delicious though. If you do want those, keep an eye when baking, don't let hanging cheese burn.
...Only remember, little cheese goes a long way. It will spread while baking. For the picture below, I kept cheese about 2 tbsp to keep spread of melted cheese within tortilla.
Don't these remind of quesadillas?
In-fact you can bake quesadilla using the same recipe. Simply add your favorite toppings (I mean stuffing). Bring on onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, and shredded cheese. Don't add lot of cheese. Layer cheese below and on top of toppings. Don't fold in half but bake two tortillas like you would grill a quesadilla. That's it. You can bake mutiple quesadilla together to serve breakfast in hurry.
Hands down these baked chips have become our favorite things to serve in parties. If you planning to host a game-day party, or any get togther, bake a batch of these tortilla chips. Trust me, you will be so happy you did. 15 minutes and such delicious result.
Don't forget to bake a big batch, these disapper fast!
Dips for Chips:
Cheesy Baked Tortilla Chipsreview) (1
- 1. Preheat Oven: Preheat oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Prep Tortilla For Baking: Spray parchment with oil spray. Line tortillas. Place 2-3 tbsp. of cheese in middle of each tortilla, sprinkle 1-2 generous pinch of seasoning or drizzle 1/2 tsp hot sauce (if using, or use both). and fold in half. Additional Notes: See Note 1
- 3. Bake: Oil Spray top side of chips. Sprinkle some salt. Bake in pre-heated oven for 5 minutes one side, then take out baking sheet and flip tortilla with spatula. Gently press all tortillas with back of a wide spatula. Bake again for 5 minutes or until tops are light brown. Additional Notes: See Note 2 and 4.
- 4. Slice and Serve: Once baked, take out, let rest for 5 minute. Then, use pizza cutter to cut into chips-style wedges. Serve immediately with salsa. Enjoy!
- For best results, do not spread or stuff too much cheese and place cheese only in middle so that it does not melt-out when baked.
- Before first round of baking, either oil spray on top side of tortilla or brush a thin layer of oil.
- Before second round of baking, gently press flipped tortilla chips with spatula. (like you would press a cheese quesadilla)
- Be careful and watch hot sheet pan while flipping chips.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.