Skinny Firecracker Cauliflower Rice Bowl
Posted By Savita
One more firecracker recipe, so soon? Well, need I say I looove firecrackers?! Be it in sky on Diwali or be it in mouth with sweet and sour and hot firecracker sauce.. there is something exciting about these. Don't you think?
Today's recipe is my skinny take on firecracker cauliflower with marinated cauliflower florets, sauted on high heat to keep it crunchy and then coated in sweet and spicy finger-licking firecracker sauce. Yes, it is THAT simple recipe!
I call it skinny because it is plant-based, plus there is no breading, no eggs or corn starch, nor deep frying involved here. Just quick pan saute of cauliflower florets to keep them crisp tender, and then the magic of firecracker sauce.
For weekday dinner, I'm always looking for easy dinner ideas which are flavorful, healthier, and will keep my family from eating out. This crunchy sweet-n-sour cauliflower comes together in 10 minutes while I boil/steam rice on the side. And tastes like vegetarian make-over of Chinese sweet and sour chicken! No one feels they are eating boring yet my mission of meatless Monday dinner, at home, is accomplished!
So, let's ditch the delivery!!
Honestly, not just meatless Mondays.. this is my go-to recipe when I'm craving Chinese but we are on veggie diet. My inspiration behind this recipe is Panda Express's firecracker shrimp. For veggie version, I find cauliflower is perfect replacement of shrimp. So, I combined their firecracker shrimp, with my love for cauliflower into a homemade skinny Chinese-take-out-veggie-meal. No fried, not battered but sweet and spicy just like it.
I like to serve this *cauliflower stir-fry over steamed rice (instead of fried) with little sprinkle of sesame seeds and scallions. You can even serve it over quinoa or some lite cooked couscous. All of these will absorb the sauce and lots of flavor from cauliflower as it sits on top.
Simple, simply irresistible!
*Just make sure to lightly saute cauliflower so that it stays on little crunchy side. Rest, no one needs to know it is skinny dinner!
Why don't panda express sell cauliflower for vegetarians? Not steamed like they have broccoli but sweet and spicy like their firecracker shrimp. Please please somebody go and tell them to include this cauliflower recipe in their menu.
I bet it will sell like 'hot cakes'! All vegetarians will love it, I guarantee!
.. until they decide, I'm happy, with my skinny firecracker cauliflower and rice bowl, at home. It needs just 15 minutes from kitchen to dinner table. And luckily Vishal loves it as much as I do!
You guys, give it a try! I'm certain you will have most of the ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator right now! Invest 15 minutes in kitchen and help yourself with a Chinese-takeout-style (meatless) dinner! Feel free to add more veggies - bell pepper, celery, carrots! Go creative, make it your own, be a chef de home!! :-)
Have a wonderful Monday! -Savita x
PS: Super bowl is just around the corner!! Do check back for an exciting Chips and Salsa recipe! Believe me, you would want to make it for all football fans!
Skinny Firecracker Cauliflower Rice Bowl
- 1/2 lbs Cauliflower (broken into florets)
- 4 Green Onion (thin sliced)
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Hot Sauce (buffalo hot sauce, check label for gluten free)
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Sambal Chili Paste (divided)
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce (gluten free tamari soy sauce)
- 1-2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Rice
1. Cook (steam or boil) rice according to package directions. While rice are cooking, take cauliflower florets in a bowl, add 1 tsp seasme oil, 1 tsp sambal paste, 1 tsp soy sauce. Toss well and set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine remaining 1 tsp soy sauce, red wine vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, 1 tsp sambal chili paste. Mix well and set aside.
3. Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a saute pan, add cauliflower and cook on high heat until slightly tender. Add firecracker sauce (assembled in step-2) and half of sliced green onions and continue saute until sauce is dark in color.
4. Divide into two bowl over portion of rice. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Garnish with scallions and cilantro. Serve hot. Enjoy!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please DO NOT copy content/images without prior permission. If you want to mention recipe name on your blog, link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.