Spicy Avocado Sauce Pasta
Flavorful start of week with spicy and creamy avocado pesto coated pasta, served with side of cajon seasoned fried eggs. yum!
Posted By Savita
Spicy Avocado Sauce Pasta is a healthy, gluten free dinner side or main! A spicy, and zesty combination of flavors with good fats of avocado, antioxidants of chilies and is creamy without even a drop of cream! Like amaZing!
Avocado pesto, if I may call it, is vegan because it is totally plant based. I paired it with a cajon-spiced fried egg for lunch yesterday but if you serve it without egg.. avocado pasta meal will also be vegan.
Avocado Pesto is like smooth and creamy friend of chunky guacamole, only with little more depth of flavor. This depth of flavor is needed because we are planning to coat neutral pasta in it.
Now think, will you like just few spoons of guac smothered pasta? No, right?
So, I added double layer of flavor: one in sauce and one in pasta to make it well prepared meal rather than a guac coated avocado pasta.
Keep reading to uncover my flavor story..
I'm sure you are no strange to my major crush on jalapeno peppers.. and it's spicy cousins lately. Like Baked Jalapeno Poppers are the-best lightened-up bar snack!
Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins are perfect combination of heat and sweet! I can eat a few for breakfast or love scooping some soup with it! Oh, I even added heat to a Thai Green Curry with jalapenos! (not so traditional but works perfectly for heat seekers!)
Creamy avocado pairs so well with zesty lime and heat of chilies that I could not resist blending a spicy avocado pesto yesterday.. but decided to add-in lots of flavor:
First, to flavor the avocado pesto sauce, I gave the main ingredient of avocado sauce, jalapenos, some special treatment. I roasted these on open flame to intensify their flavor. Once jalapenos were roasted, I let those cool completely and then blended with avocado for a flavorful pasta sauce. It is important to let jalapeno cool completely or warmth of jalapeno will blacken the avocado sauce very quickly.
Speaking of which reminds me that avocado pesto sauce is a kind of sauce which should be prepared right before serving or max 30 mins to one one hr of serving! Even though acid in sauce prevents avocado from oxidization.. it still start loosing it's fresh vibrant green color in hour or so. So, I prefer to make spicy avocado pesto pasta just before or serving which works out great since this pesto comes together very fast. If I'm serving it little later, I store the sauce in refrigerator, without pasta, in an airtight container. All-in-all, for most vibrant color, I recommend using it within few hours making a batch.
Continuing with flavorful avocado-sauce story... For the second layer of flavor, I season the prepared pasta with zippy spicy cajon seasoning! Trust me, this one little seasoning will take spicy avocado sauce from fab to fabulous! I highly recommend it.
I enjoyed few bites of pasta so much with it that I ended-up shallow frying some leftover eggs in same seasoning..
This made me feel like to share the same combination with you. This pasta makes a perfect lazy weekday lunch or dinner! If I would serve it vegan, I would love shallow frying some tofu or cauliflower steaks to serve on the side.
Avocado pasta is high in good fats, and antioxidants. It is also gluten free because I have used gluten free quinoa and buckwheat pasta. If you prefer, you can also use gluten free spiralized veggie noodles for this recipe.. made with veggies such as zucchini, sweet potato or turnip.
Wishing you a great start of week!
I hope you get chance to try this delicious pasta tonight! :) If not, make sure to pin it for later.
Spicy Avocado Sauce Pasta
- 2 Avocado (ripe, ready to use but not brown)
- 3 Jalapeno
- 3 tbsp Lime (juice)
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro (leaves)
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic (cloves)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Cashew (paste, or 5-6 cashew soaked in water for 10 minutes)
- 1/2 lbs Pasta (I have used gluten free thin spagahetti )
- 2 Egg(s) (hard bolied, peel and halved)
- 1 tbsp Cajon Seasoning
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 2-3 tbsp Capers (for serving)
Spicy Avocado Sauce
1. Bring a pot of water to rolling boil. Season with salt. Cook pasta until al-dente.
2. While pasta cooking, roast jalapeno chilies on open flame until nicely charred. Place covered in container until completely cool. Scrape off skin and remove seeds.
3. In food processor, combine all ingredients for avocado pesto along with roasted jalapenos. Pulse until pureed and creamy. If sauce appears too thick, add 1-2 tbsp. water (not more). Taste and adjust salt and lime juice.
4. For cajon fried eggs, heat 2 tsp oil in a saute pan, season egg cut side with liberal coating of Cajon Seasoning, then fry cut side down until brown and crispy.
5. Mix avocado pesto with pasta. garnish with capers. Serve immediately with dust of cajon seasoning and side of fried eggs! enjoy!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.