Oven Roasted Whole Chicken with Lemon and Thyme
Lemon, thyme, and spices marinated, juicy oven roasted whole chicken with roasted potatoes. Guide to roast perfect whole chicken every time.
Posted By Savita
Sharing today, lemon, thyme, and spices marinated, juicy oven roasted whole chicken with roasted potatoes that soak in all flavor while chicken cooks in oven.
Not only flavorful chicken roast, this recipe is my favorite because I get to feed my family a complete one-pan meal that has protein, starch, and lots of seasonal flavors with only 20 minutes of Active Time. Specially when serving big family these recipes are life saver. And leftovers work great for weekdays (pure bonus!)
Oh, and since time of baking and family gatherings is finally here.. :) With this recipe, I'm also sharing tips to pull a worry free, moist, juicy and flavorful chicken roast.
Take this recipe as two-in-one: a flavor-packed Lemon thyme Chicken Roast and an ultimate guide to roasting perfectly cooked moist whole chicken in the oven. Earlier I have shared recipe for Roasted Game Hens on blog but oven roasted whole chicken recipe is first. So I thought to include all bells and whistles for a worry-free family meal.
So, let's get cooking!
- 1 Chicken (whole chicken, 3-4 pounds, cleaned)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Lemon (for 3 tablespoon juice, 1 tsp zest, and one thin round sliced)
- Garlic (1 head, 5-6 cloves round sliced, 4-5 minced)
- Bunch Thyme (fresh sprigs, or a tablespoon dried)
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes (mixed with 1/2 tsp parika)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1-2 lbs Potatoes (fingerling, halved)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- Unsalted Butter (for basting)
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
Marinated Whole Chicken
- 1. Prep Chicken: A night before, or 4 hours before roasting, pat dry the chicken. Rub finger through skin on breast, and thighs to loosen it up. Only up-to where skin does not tear.
Place chicken on a large prep plate. Massage with mixture of olive oil, lemon zest, soy sauce, lemon juice, minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt. Make sure to add some to cavity, under the loose skin wherever you get access easily. Now, insert few slices of lemon and sliced garlic under the skin as deep as your fingers can reach without tearing the skin. Add remaining lemon slices, garlic clove , few thyme sprigs in the cavity.
Additional Notes:I used 10-15 thin lemon slices and 4-5 cloves.
- 3. Mix chili flakes, paprika, cumin, remaining salt, black pepper, and thyme from 4-5 sprigs into a small bowl. Massage half over the skin. Insert bird in a large plastic bag or seal-able container. Transfer any liquid from prep plate into the container. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at-least 4 hours.
Roast: Preheat oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In baking dish, add sliced potatoes, season with sprinkle of salt.. Take chicken out of plastic bag and top on potatoes. Massage remaining spice-blend (saved in step 3) on top skin. Roast for 50 minutes to an hour until temperature in thickest part of thigh is 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Additional Notes:To prevent over browning.. Tie the legs of bird with twine and cover with aluminium foil. Tuck wings under the breast.
- 5. Gently brush melted butter on chicken when just out of the oven. Let roasted chicken rest for 15-20 minutes before carving. Serve and enjoy!