Skillet Cornbread with Creamed Corn
Sharing today, a hearty Skillet Cornbread made with Creamed Corn and Sour Cream. Moist with crispy crust and hint of sweetness, this cornbread make perfect addition to weekend barbecue or chili con carne dinner.
I'm so excited to share this recipe. Cornbread is one of our favorite Quick Bread. It is easy to mix, and very quick to bake. In just 10 minutes prep, you will have moist and delicious cornbread to serve for dinner.
Oh, and bread has golden crusty crust (my favorite) I get this crust by baking it in pre-heated cast iron skillet. (more on this ahead)
So, let's dig-in and make some Cornbread!
Cornbread is widely eaten with chili con carne and barbecue. This recipe is made in iron skillet which makes it perfect to even bake on BBQ grill.
Last weekend I was craving cornbread... And I had plans to make No Bean Chili. Corn bread dunked in chili. OMG, that is outrageous delicious combination. I first had these two together in a Award Wining Chili Restaurant in LA. I clearly remember that day was my birthday. Vishal planned a surprise visit to this Chili Restaurant. One bite of cornbread with spicy chili and I was hooked.
Honestly, I don't want to have chili any other way. To assemble chili my-style, place a piece of homemade cornbread in the bowl, ladle hot chili on top, add topping, and sour cream. Dig in.
I know you gonna love it. So, you are welcome! :)
What makes this Cornbread Special?
1) Lite Sweet: This cornbread is not very sweet. (Perfect to serve with chili.)
2) Super Moist without much Fat: I use creamed corn and sour cream which make delicious moist corn bread without much butter or lots of eggs. I do recommend finish hot bread, just out of oven with brush of melted butter. That seals in moisture and keeps it extra moist.
3) Double flavor of Corn: Creamed corn, fresh corn and corn meal. This corn bread is loaded.
4) Skillet Cornbread: This recipe is grill season approved. Baked in iron skillet, you can even bake this on grill.
What is Creamed Corn?
Creamed Corn is corn cooked and pureed until corn release starch and sweetness. The resulting cooked corn mixture is soupy, thick, and creamy. Creamed corn is used a lot in Southern cooking. It is often used in corn casseroles, corn cakes, and prominently in cornbreads. When buying creamed corn, look for low salt and low sugar. This recipe already has sugar and salt. If creamed corn is not low sugar and low salt, reduce some from the recipe.
How to get Crusty Cornbread in Iron Skillet:
For that delicious brown crust, I leave skillet in oven while oven preheats. When cornbread batter is ready. I take hot skillet out of oven. (Be careful when handling hot skillet) Add oil in hot skillet, followed by cornbread batter. Batter starts to sizzle on contact with hot oil. That's it.
This simple step crisps up the outer layer of batter. As bread bakes in oven, crust in contact with skillet keeps getting brown and crispy. When bread is ready, it pulls away from sides. Bread is ready.
Brush with some warm butter. Slice and serve!
Homemade Cornbread is perfect weekend project. I recommend bake cornbread this weekend and serve on side with my No Beans Chili for an amazing holiday weekend dinner.
Wish you a wonderful weekend.
I'll see you around. Stay in touch.
Skillet Cornbread with Creamed Corn
- 1.5 Cup Corn Meal (coarse ground corn meal)
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 14 Oz Creamed Corn (sweet creamed corn, no salt added)
- 1/2 Cup Corn (frozen yellow corn kernel, thawed)
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 Egg(s)
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Butter Milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2.5 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Butter - Salted (or unsalted, melted)
- 1. Preheat oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Place 10-inch iron skillet in oven while it heats up.
- 2. In a wide bowl, add dry ingredients: all purpose flour, corn meal, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk or soft to combine everything. Set aside.
- 3. In another wide bowl, add eggs, 1 tbsp oil, sour cream, buttermilk, creamed corn and corn. Whisk well until eggs are well combined.
- 4. Add dried ingredients into the wet and fold to make smooth batter.
- 5. Remove skillet from oven (careful it will be hot). Add a tablespoon of oil in skillet and swirl it around. Add all of the batter, smooth top with spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 24-27 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Bread is golden brown from top and has left sides.
- 6. Brush warm out-of-oven bread with a melted butter. Set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.