Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
Fresh strawberry and rhubarb galette with homemade flaky pie crust and a delicious almond meal filling. This simple dessert is perfect finish to a summer weekend meal. Enjoy with scoop of ice cream!
This summer, try a fresh summer fruit galette instead of pie. Start with this recipe of fresh Strawberry and Rhubarb Galette with homemade flaky pie crust and a rich almond filling. The filling recipe is my tested and trusted way to make perfect galette every summer. It holds fruit together, makes a perfectly set fresh fruit galette. Must try!
I'm fan of fresh fruit desserts. When I think dessert, Galette tops the list. A close cousin of Italian Crostata, Galette is a free-form rustic tart topped with fresh fruit filling. Strawberries, peaches, plums, and blueberries - all go great as filling (more of a topping) on a rustic flaky pie crust.
Galette is also easy to make than pie. Specially with my almond-meal based filling recipe, galette will set perfectly and will slice into clean slices.
Galette Crust is just like a flaky pie crust and very easy to make at home. To make crust for galette, mix cold-diced butter into the all-purpose flour with some sugar and salt. Mix using pastry-dough-cutter or in food processor until butter is size of small peas. Next, add ice-cold water until dough is slightly not-dry. Dough does not bind together with water. Take it out on work board and then form a dough ball.
Recipe included makes dough for one 9 inch flaky-crust galette.
Picture below shows assembled galette with fresh strawberries and rhubarb.
You can also use pre-made Pie Crust or Puff Pastry to make galette.
Once crust is ready, galette comes together very quickly. Simply make the almond meal paste, layer on the pie crust, layer strawberries and rhubarb on top. Top with few tablespoons of sugar and chilled cold diced butter.
Arrange strawberry and rhubarb any way to you prefer. I arrange strawberry and rhubarb alternatively and keep cut side of strawberry down so that the color of strawberries shine after baking.
Friends, flaky crust, sweet almond filling and fresh baked tart-sweet strawberries and rhubarb are speaking flavors of summer. A dollop of fresh whipped cream and dessert is served. One 9" galette is perfect to serve a family of 6. I hope you will like it as much as we do. Happy summer!
More Summer Desserts to Try:
Strawberry Rhubarb Galettereviews) (7
- 1. Make Dough for Crust: In a food processor, add cold-diced butter, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt. Pulse 4-5 times or until butter is size of small peas. Next, add ice-cold water and pulse 4-5 times. Transfer to lite flour dusted work board. Make a dough ball, warp in plastic warp. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- 2. Prepare Filling Ingredients: Hull and slice strawberries in half. Trim and cut rhubarb stalks into thick even size slices. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix jam, egg yolk, almond meal, half of sugar to make a paste. Set aside.
- 3. Roll Crust: Line a baking sheet with parchment (baking) paper. Set aside. Light dust a work board with All-Purpose flour. Transfer chilled dough to work board. Using rolling pin, roll dough to 15-18 inch diameter circle/oval shape. Transfer rolled dough on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 4. Preheat Oven : Set oven to preheat at 400 degree Fahrenheit.
- 5. Assemble Galette: Leaving a 3 inch border, spread the almond meal mix in a circle on rolled crust. Starting from the outward, move inward layering strawberry (cut side down) on top of the almond meal spread. Alternate the strawberry and rhubarb layers. Sprinkle remaining sugar on top. Place small diced cold butter on the top. Refrigerate for at-least 10 minutes, or until oven is preheated.
- 6. Bake: Bake Galette for 40 minutes to 1 hour until curst is golden and filling is bubbling. Once baked, take out of the oven and leave on wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Slice and serve with whipped cream/ice cream or simple dust of powdered sugar.
- Arrange strawberry and rhubarb any way to you prefer. I arrange strawberry and rhubarb alternatively and keep cut side of strawberry down so that the color of strawberries shine after baking.
- You can also use pre-made Pie Crust or Puff Pastry to make galette.
- I highly recommend to bake galette on parchment paper. It makes baked galette easier to handle.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.