Sarson Da Saag
Mustard Greens And Spinach Cooked with Garlic
Sarson Da Saag
- 1 lbs Mustard Greens
- 1/2 lbs Spinach
- 3 Garlic (Cloves)
- 2 Hot Green Pepper (small)
- 1 tbsp Ginger (Grated)
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/4 Cup Corn Meal
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
1. Wash greens in running water and chop.2. Heat 1tbsp oil in heavy bottom sauce pan, add garlic (slightly mashed), Green chili Pepper and fry till just fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add greens in the pan little at a time. Keep stirring till there is room to add more. Repeat till all green are wilted and added to the pan. Add salt and grated ginger. Turn the gas burner to medium low and cook for 10 minutes.4. Stir in Corn Meal and cook for another 10 minutes. In case greens look very dry, add 1-2 tbsp water to avoid burning at bottom.
5. Let the green cool down, then use Hand blender to blend the greens to a coarse consistency.6. In a separate pan, heat 1 tbsp butter/oil, add cumin seeds, ½ cup chopped onions and 1 tbsp tomatoes paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Add turmeric and Red Chili Podwer and fry till oil separates. Add this to cooked green, stir well and Saag is ready to rock any Dinner Party. Enjoy !!!
Savita's Recipe Notes:You can very ratio of Mustard Greens to Spinach. If you like crisp mustard taste, then use 1 lb Mustard Green and ½ lb Spinach. (this is traditional ratio) Or Use ½ Mustard and 1 lb Spinach for mild version of this dish.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.
Let's Connect: Facebook, Pinterest.
Check Products We Use: CDH Amazon Shop (Affiliate Links)
What Recipe You Like Next?: Request a Recipe