Spinach Blueberry Salad
Spinach Blueberry Salad with feta, walnuts, and Citrus-Tarragon Vinaigrette Dressing. Delicious, simple, and healthy salad to brighten up summer meal. Dressing also works great as marinade!
Lite and refreshing Spinach Blueberry Salad loaded with summer sweet blueberries, crunchy jicama, creamy feta cheese, capers with a sweet and tangy Orange-Tarragon Vinaigrette Dressing. This simple, lite, and healthy salad is perfect to brighten the flavor of any summer meal. It is Gluten free. Can be dairy-free.
Oh, the salad dressing recipe is also a great marinade. Make a double batch to use one batch as marinade grilled chicken and one as blueberry salad dressing. Throw marinated chicken on BBQ while assembling the salad. Enjoy an easy summer Grilled Chicken with Blueberry Salad!
Berries in summer are perfectly sweet. Specially, blueberries and strawberries give a burst of sweetness, color, and a boost of vitamins to summer salads. Blueberry Salad and Strawberry Salad with Raspberry Dressing are my favorite picks for summer luncheons.
When a salad is so fresh and vibrant, it calls for good quality ingredients. I highly recommend using good quality fresh spinach, blueberries, feta, and walnuts.
This blueberry Salad is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and heart-healthy walnuts. You can make blueberry salad vegan (dairy free) by omitting the feta cheese.
What Do you Need to Make Spinach Blueberry Salad?
Two of the main ingredients to make Blueberry and Spinach Salad are in the name i.e. fresh spinach and blueberries. Use a mix of arugula and spinach if you like peppery flavor of arugula. I love it with creamy feta cheese!
Here is list of ingredients to make spinach blueberry salad:
- Fresh Spinach - I prefer to use triple-washed, pre-packed baby spinach. Ready to use greens is my secret to including a salad in dinner or packing a salad for lunch.
- Feta Cheese, preferably crumbled.
- Walnuts - optional. Use toasted or raw. I often don't use walnuts when planning to keep salad nuts free. Walnuts can also be served tableside to use as per preference.
- Jicama - If you have never tried jicama before, this salad is a perfect introduction to Jicama. Jicama is a crunchy vegetable. It tastes like a cross between apple, pear, and sweet radish. We love jicama in salads and as a healthy snack with a low-calorie dip.
- Capers - Capers are a little salty surprise with sweet blueberries. You can also use diced olives or diced dill pickle.
- Blueberry Salad Dressing such as Orange Tarragon Vinaigrette Dressing (recipe included)
Citrus Tarragon Vinaigrette Dressing
This Citrus Vinaigrette Dressing is a versatile salad dressing. It can be used as salad dressing for lite spinach salad or as marinade to make grilled chicken or shrimp. You can also customize this dressing to your own preference or availability of ingredients. Refer to the Variation section for details.
Here are the ingredients to make Citrus Vinaigrette Dressing for Blueberry Salad:
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Orange Juice
- Sherry Vinegar
- Tarragon leaves
- Salt and Black pepper
To make the dressing:
In a small bowl, mix all the main ingredients: orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify oil with mustard and vinegar. Add chopped leaves of tarragon and adjust salt to taste.
You can also make salad dressing in a food processor or blender. If using food processor, add the dressing ingredients except oil and tarragon. With motor running, add oil in a slow stream to emulsify. Transfer dressing to a serving bowl. Mix in freshly chopped tarragon herb leaves.
Blueberry Salad dressing stays good for 1 week. (refrigerated)
This blueberry salad is the perfect lite and healthy summer salad. You can also try these variations to make blueberry salad as per ingredients available:
- Use different citrus such as juice of lemon or Meyer lemon instead of orange. For sweetness add honey or agave.
- For little heat, add few dashes of sriracha sauce.
- Use different vinegars - such as red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Add or substitute capers with diced olives or diced dill pickle.
- Make mixed berry salad for more flavor and color by using a variety of berries, such as raspberries, strawberries and blackberries.
- Try one or more fresh herbs such as fresh chopped oregano and basil also go great in this blueberry salad dressing.
- Make Spinach Blueberry Salad with Balsamic Dressing. or Raspberry Dressing.
- Use mixed greens instead of just spinach such as Spinach and Arugula or Spinach and Watercress.
- For different flavors, use raw or Candied Pecans.
Bring the flavor of summer fruits into your meal with this vibrant, healthy, vitamin-packed Blueberry Salad. I hope you will like it as much as we do. Enjoy!
Spinach Blueberry Saladreviews) (6
IngredientsSpinach Blueberry Salad
- 1. Toast Walnuts (if using): Heat a dry skillet on medium heat. Add walnuts and toast stirring often until fragrant. Stir in-between. Don't let walnuts burn. Remove in a plate and let cool down completely.
- 2. Make Salad Dressing: In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients except fresh herbs. Whisk to emulsify oil with vinegar and mustard until vinaigrette is thick. Add chopped tarragon and mix well. Taste and add more salt to taste. See Note 1.
- 3. Assemble Blueberry Salad: In a large salad bowl or platter, arrange spinach and arugula (if using) leaves. Drizzle few spoons of salad dressing on top. Toss gently to dress leaves in dressing. Top with blueberries, jicama, rinsed capers, toasted walnuts, and crumbled feta. Serve remaining dressing table-side for self serving. Enjoy!
- Recipe doubles easily. Blueberry salad dressing will stay good for a week. Whisk well before re-using.
- If can't find Jicama, substitute Jicama with apple, firm pear, or red radish (when in-season and sweet).
- If planning to make ahead, use sturdy greens such as Kale or Romaine instead of delicate greens such as spinach or arugula.
- Swap capers with diced green olives or dill pickles for more sweet-salty flavor.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.