Himalayan Salt Block Cooked Lamb and Asparagus
Seasoned with Infused Thai Chili Oil
Posted By Savita
Recently, I had opportunity to try Salt Block Cooked food in a party. I never thought cooking on a griddle of Himalayan Salt Block can be this much fun. For those, (like old me) who wonder if cooking on salt block will make food very salty? I am telling you - Not at all!! Food taste perfectly seasoned, though you don't need to pre-season your veggies. I grilled asparagus on salt block without seasoning and it was beautifully charred and nicely seasoned. Loved it!! My husband always wanted to buy Salt Block and cook meat on it and I never agreed until I saw this beautifully griddle made-by-nature in action. Once I agreed that food tasted amazing and its a fun experience trying salt block cooked food at home, there was nothing stopping my husband. :) He bought a Salt Block and we cooked thin pounded lamb with homemade infused chili oil. Smoky and Hot, Thai Chili Oil paired perfect with meaty rich lamb. If you like spicy, Infused Thai Chili Olive Oil will be a great experience for you. Two great experience today!! The second one, infusing oils is also a passion of my husba...
Total Time: Prep Time: Cook Time:
- 1/2 lbs Lamb (Lamb Lion meat, tender meat without fat that can cook faster.)
- 1 Himalayan Salt Block (at least 1 inch thick to sustain direct heat)
- 1/2 lbs Asparagus
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (I used 1 tbsp plain EVOO and 1 tbsp Thai Chili Infused Oil)
- 2 tbsp Lemon (lemon juice)
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (If NOT using Chili Infused Oil or this is Optional)
- 4 tbsp Sour Cream (for serving)
- 1. Slice the lamb pieces into 2-3 inch length and then pound them with a roller or meat pounder to make'em sightly thinner and wider.
- 2. In bowl, combine 1 tbsp plain olive oil, red pepper (if not using Chili Pepper Oil later), 1/4 tsp salt and lemon juice. Add and toss lamb pieces and leave aside for 30 minutes.
- 3. Heat the salt block on stove on medium heat for 10 minutes and then increase the heat for 2 minutes. Place asparagus over heated salt block and sear turning once till nicely charred. Add 1 tsp chili oil while searing asparagus.
- 4. Place the lamb over heated salt block and sear each side for 5 minutes or till it is done to your liking. (medium rare needs about 3-5 min each side) Drizzle 1-2 tsp chili oil over lamb while cooking distributing it evenly over all pieces
- 5. Serve lamb immediately with asparagus and sour cream on the side. Follow cleaning instructions to clean Salt block for storage and future cooking.
Savita's Notes:DIY - You can buy Chili Oil from store or to make it at home - Fill a small glass bottle/container with fresh Thai Chili (4-5), then top it with extra virgin olive oil till chilis are fully immersed in oil. Seal tight and leave to infuse in a cool dark place for about 1 month.
Savitathank you, becki! I am glad this recipe worked for you! These days I'm into grilling lots of veggies on salt black. Stopping by my own post making me grill some lamb today! :)