Homemade Crunchwraps prepared just like Taco Bell's Crunchwrap Supreme with meat filling, creamy 5 minute Nacho Cheese Sauce and crunchy Corn Tortillas. You will love the flavor.
Homemade Crunchwrap recipe with flour tortillas filled with mouthwatering meat filling, salsa, crunchy corn tortillas, and a 5-minute creamy Nacho Cheese Sauce. Crunchwrap brings best of the Breakfast Quesadilla and Crunchy Meat Taco in one tasty crunchy wrap. In my experience, these are perfect for any meal of the day. Crunchwrap also freeze well. (instructions below and in recipe notes)
If you have never tried Crunchwrap? I highly recommend trying it once. Good news is that you can now make'em at home.
Let's get started!
Taco Bell's Crunchwrap Supreme is blend of Mexican breakfast quesadilla and a crunchy taco (meat stuffed in crunchy corn taco). Combine these two and you will get a delicious stuffed tortilla taco wrap popular as Crunchwrap.
First time, I ate Crunchwrap while on a road trip. I fell in love with the flavorful filling, cooling sour cream and refreshing lettuce. Specially amazing was the surprise of crunchy corn tortilla chips stuffed into the filling. Bonus for me - the nicely wrapped package was so easy to eat. Easier than burrito.
I love Taco Bell's Crunchwrap Supreme. But homemade Crunchwrap give me opportunity to;
- Know the ingredients I use.
- Make ahead and freeze.
- Cook a big batch and save money.
- Plus I LOVE to make homemade versions of the foods I eat out.
Crunchwrap Supreme Ingredients
Here's what ingredients you need to make Crunchwrap:
- Meat Filling - Ground meat and easy to find pantry ingredients; taco seasoning, garlic, hot sauce and tomato paste make delicious meat sauce to fill in the wraps. My family even loves this filling in tacos for Taco Tuesday.
- Nacho Cheese Sauce - I'm sharing a five minute delicious recipe that you can cook in microwave. You are welcome to use same sauce to serve Nacho Chips.
- Large Flour Tortillas - I learned from experience that to hold everything together nicely in Crunchwrap you need large 12" tortillas. Look for extra large tortillas used for Burrito Grande Or order 12 inch flour tortillas.
- Corn Tortilla Chips, Onion, Tomato and Sour Cream - The quintessential Mexican ingredients for tacos, burritos and of course for Crunchwraps.
Once you have all the ingredients, Crunchwrap comes together very quickly.
After cooking meat, I set it aside to cool down and then make Nacho Cheese Sauce, prep remaining ingredients and warm the tortillas.
NOTE: It is important to slightly cool down ingredients before assembly. Hot ingredients such as meat can make wraps soggy.
12 inch burrito grande tortillas wraps work best to make Crunchwrap. Mexican cream gets the most creamy texture when wraps are cooked. However, you can replace Mexican crema with low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt.
For Even and Neat looking Crunch Wraps
- Eye-ball and divide ground meat and other filling ingredients equally among 8 tortillas.
- Follow the order of ingredients as suggested in the recipe card.
- Make sure there is no liquid in cooked meat or beans. Liquid can make wraps soggy.
Black Bean Crunchwrap
You can easily make vegetarian Black Bean Crunchwraps by replacing meat filling with sautéed seasoned black beans (recipe follows). In-fact, I also even add beans with the meat to make wraps more substantial. (I used beans in few of the wraps for pictures.)
How To Cook Black Beans Crunchwrap:
Ingredients you need:
2 tsp Cumin Powder
2 of 15 Oz Black Beans (can of seasoned black beans)
2 tsp Garlic (1-2 cloves, minced)
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
Heat cooking oil in a medium skillet to medium heat. Add garlic and cumin powder. Let garlic and cumin perfume oil for 30 seconds. (Don't let garlic burn.) Add black beans (don't drain) and salt. Stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed by beans. Take off heat. Set aside to cool down. Use in-place of meat to make Black Bean Crunchwraps.
Note: Use half the recipe when adding beans with meat.
Cook and Freeze:
Crunchwrap freeze well. I recommend to assemble, cook and let Crunchwrap cool down to room temperature, then freeze. To reheat, microwave for 1 minute or until wraps are thawed. Heat a skillet, crisp wraps in skillet sprayed with cooking oil.
These wrap work perfect for breakfast, lunch and even for a quick family game-night dinner. Try something different tonight. Bring home meat and tortillas. Make and enjoy homemade Taco Crunchwraps.
Happy Cooking. -x
Serve Crunch Wraps with:
- 1. Cook Meat: Heat a skillet. Add cooking oil. Add minced garlic. Let garlic perfume oil for 30 seconds. (Don't let garlic burn.) Add ground lamb meat. Sprinkle taco seasoning and crumbled bouillon on top. Cook on medium heat. For proper consistency of ground meat, use a wooden spoon to break meat while cooking. Cook until meat is no longer pink.
- 2. Season Meat: Add tomato paste, and hot sauce. Mix and continue cooking until all liquid evaporates, oil separates and meat is fully cooked. Add generous pinch of black pepper. Mix and remove from heat. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside to cool down.
- 3. Prepare Nacho Cheese Sauce: Add Cheese Sauce ingredients; cubed velvetta cheese, milk and seasoning into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stopping every 1 minute to stir. Additional Notes: Microwave time will vary based on microwave power. Keep an eye. As soon as cheese looks melted; stop heating or heat in 30 seconds increments to make sure cheese sauce is smooth and creamy.
- 4. Warm Flour Tortillas: Transfer tortillas to a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 15 seconds at a time until tortillas are warm and soft. Additional Notes: Warming tortillas make these easy to work with - such as fold to make wraps.
- 5. Assemble Crunchwraps: On a tortilla, layer 2-3 heaping tablespoons of ground cooked meat in the center and spread in circle of 4-5 inches. Following the order, top meat with 1 tablespoon of Mexican Cream, hot sauce (if using), 1 tablespoon of nacho cheese sauce, 5-6 tortilla chips, a heaping tablespoon onion-tomato mixture, lettuce. Working from the side towards you, fold the sides of wrap onto each other like an envelop. Once wrapped, set aside seam-side down on a baking sheet. Repeat for all 8 wraps.
- 6. Cook Crunchwraps: Heat large flat top or wide skillet on medium heat that can cook two wraps at a time. Spray cooking oil. Place two wraps seam-side down. Press gently for even cooking. Once bottom is nice golden brown (1-2 minutes), flip and cook the other side. Transfer to wire wrack. Repeat this step to cook remaining 6 tortilla wraps.
- 7. Serve: Serve Crunchwraps while still hot. Serve extra crema and hot sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
- Even looking Crunch Wraps:
a. Eye-ball and divide ground meat and other filling ingredients equally among 8 tortilla wraps.
b. Follow the order of ingredients as suggested in the recipe card.
c. Make sure there is no liquid in cooked meat or beans. Liquid can make wraps soggy.
- Ground Meat: We always cook with and eat ground lamb (80:20). However, recipe will work for all kind of meats. I have used in past for ground chicken and turkey. Only make sure to adjust the cooking time. Crunch wraps need fully cooked ground meat.
- Make Ahead: If serving later, let wrap cool completely, then wrap each in a plastic wrap for easy storage and serving.
- Vegetarian Wraps: You can add or replace meat with sautéed beans. I used beans in few of the wraps for pictures. Check recipe in the post description, above Recipe Card.
- Cook and Freeze: Crunchwrap freeze well. I recommend to assemble, cook and let Crunchwrap cool down to room temperature, then freeze. To reheat, microwave for 1 minute or until wraps are thawed. Heat a skillet, crisp wraps in skillet sprayed with cooking oil.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.