Creole Lemon Okra
Posted By Savita
Really, addition of Creole Seasoning, gave a new perspective to my Okra Curry Stir Fry. I always loved southern favorite Creole Seasoning, used it often in rice, seafood and chicken dishes, but addition of creole seasoning to my Lemon Okra made "Okra", the star dish of our family dinner last weekend. Even picky eaters were saying "nom nom" and finished the plate.
I stir fried okra with creole seasoning, some fresh garlic, onion slices and touch of turmeric. Don't forget to add turmeric because it really makes a lot of difference. And lemon (believe me) is must to balance all the flavors.
If you don't have creole seasoning handy, use ingredients in suggestion box to make your own. I am sure you'll find all these ingredients at home. If you happen to do not like okra, give this recipe a try, it will change your perspective about this wonder vegetable.
Enjoy this flavorful Okra as side dish with meat/seafood or top it over rice to make a meal. If you planning to host a Mardi Gras Pot luck, spicy, lemony okra will fit right in there too. Enjoy!!
Creole Lemon Okra
- 1 lbs Okra (one packet of frozen presliced okra)
- 2 Lemon (juice of 1 & 1/2 lemon, rest for garnish)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Salt (as per taste)
- 1 White Onion (sliced into half moon thin slices)
- 2 Garlic (2 cloves of garlic)
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 tbsp Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a (preferably non-stick) pan, when oil is hot, add cumin seeds and fry for 20 secs. Add fine chopped garlic, onion slices and saute till onions are translucent (make sure not to burn the garlic.). Now add sliced okra 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition to break apart frozen chunks.
2. Once all okra is in the pan and separated, saute for 3-4 minutes stirring frequently on high heat to dry out the moisture. In a small bowl mix, 1/2 tsp salt, turmeric, black pepper and creole seasoning. Sprinkle half of the mixture over cooking okra and mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat until okra is tender (about 5-7 minutes). Now add remaining seasoning, 1 tbsp oil, uncover and cook stirring on high heat for another 3-4 minutes or until okra start caramelizing a bit at the bottom.
3. Taste and adjust the salt, add lemon juice, mix well and remove from heat. Serve hot on the side with meat or enjoy as main dish with steamed rice.
Savita's Notes:Do you care to make Creole Seasoning at home? Combine following - 1 tablespoons paprika, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 1 tablespoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon dried thyme
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.