Farmer Market Healthy Potato Salad with Mustard Dressing
Posted By Savita
This potato salad is much more than just a plain potato salad. What I like best about this salad is that it has no cream, no mayo, no eggs and variety of fresh farm vegetables for crunchy texture! Oh - and a lite and tangy mustard dressing to balance all the flavors!
Clearly, this is salad is not like a traditional potato salad and screams summer in every bite! I mean, look at the pictures, does this look like "summer in a bowl" or what?
Potato Salads have reputation of being "heavy". However, making salads at home gives us option to keep'em healthy with ingredients of our choice! Isn't it? So, when I craved for Potato Salad last weekend, I decided to lighten-it up a bit!
1) Since summers, without doubt, is THE season to enjoy fresh produce..... I decided to use a lots of fresh farm produce to give texture, and lots of color to my Potato Salad (plus, few daily serving of fresh veggies and fruits! A real bonus!)
- 1 lbs Potatoes (3 medium, Red or Yukon Gold, boiled until fork tender)
- 1/2 Red Onion (diced)
- 1 Zucchini (sliced into thick vertical slices, grilled or steamed)
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (sliced into half)
- 1 Cup Black Seedless Grapes (sliced into half)
- 1 Bell Pepper (yellow or red bell pepper, small chopped)
- 1/2 Jalapeno (seeds removed, small chopped, optional)
- 1 tsp Stone ground mustard
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Herbs (fresh mint, thyme, oregano, parsley, small minced)
- 1 Lime (for 2 tbsp fresh juice, plus extra wedges for garnish)
- 1/2 tsp Salt and Black Pepper (adjust per taste)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil (extra virgin)
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
Mustard and Herb Dressing
- 1. Boil Potato: Bring a deep sauce-pan, filled with water, to rolling boil, and add potatoes, then cook until fork tender.
- 2. Make Dressing: While potatoes are cooking, in a wide salad bowl, add all dressing ingredients except salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify oil with vinegar. Add salt and pepper per taste. Set aside.
- 3. Grill Zucchini: Heat an iron griddle (or use outdoor grill) and spray with oil. Grill zucchini until nice grill marks appear and is tender per your liking (I like to grill for 2-3 minutes each side). Season with salt and pepper, slice into bite size pieces, and set aside. Also chop rest of veggies, if not already.
Assemble: Once potatoes are boiled, peel and discard skin. Dice into big cubes. Add to bowl with dressing with rest of the salad ingredients. Toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Additional Notes:Best when served 20-25 minutes after tossing ingredients into dressing.