Grilled Lemon Herbs Lamb Skewers
Posted By Savita
We don't cook red meat very often. Since lamb is favorite variety of red meat of my husband, I often insist him to buy lamb loin meat for leaner cut - far less calories. Lamb Loin meat is great to add to stews, quickly sear or grill. Since this cut of meat has very less fat, it may not be suitable for curries or briyani but it tastes great when grilled. Lamb loin skewers don't need more than 4-5 minutes on grill. Watch the skewers as they will turn from medium rare to tough very quickly. Lemon, rosemary, oregano marinated lamb is inspired from my friend's rosemary-garlic roasted lamb recipe. We enjoyed delicious roasted lamb chops marinated in rosemary and lemon marinade for main course at my friend's dinner party. I was longing for the aroma and taste after coming home. So, yesterday, I used that inspiration to make these quick lamb skewers for two of us. Let me share my two take away from this recipe - first, lean cut of red meat will let you enjoy scrumptious meat dinner but with far less fat and calories than marbled varieties. Second, lean meats cook very quickly. So these sk...
Total Time: Prep Time: Cook Time:
Yields: 6 Skewers Serves: 2
- 1 Lemon (Zest and Juice 1 lemon)
- 1 tbsp Rosemary (1 sprig rosemary fine chopped)
- 1 tsp Parsley (dried parsley flakes)
- 2 Garlic (fine minced garlic cloves)
- Kosher Salt (as per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (Or Soybean oil)
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar (Or Distilled White Vinegar)
- 1/2 lbs Lamb (lamb loins or boneless lamb cut into cubes)
- 6-8 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 Red Onion (cut into thick slices)
- 1 Lemon (thin sliced for serving)
- 3 Cup Rice (steamed or boiled rice - optional )
Lemon Herb Marinade
- 1. Marinade - Mix all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
Marinate Lamb Skewers - Skew two pieces of lamb and two pieces of red onion with one cherry tomato in alternate fashion. Repeat for all lamb cubes (makes about 6-7 skewers). Place all skewers in a rimmed square dish and pour marinade over lamb. Coat to cover completely and cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinade for 20-30 minutes.
Additional Notes:soak skewers in water for 30 minutes before using to avoid burning on grill.
Grill - Grill the lamb skewers and slices of 1 lemon until done done to your liking. Grilling lemon concentrates there flavor and enhances taste of lamb skewers.
Additional Notes:Please note - Lamb loin meat is very lean and skewered meat is small in size. It wont take more than 5-6 minutes to cook on a hot coal or gas grill.
- 4. Serve - Serve lamb skewers over bed of steamed rice with grilled lemon on side.