Spiced Lamb Pies
Thanksgiving Dinner Special Homemade Pies
Posted By Savita
Will you believe, if I tell you that they have been made with leftover lamb meatloaf?You can make'em with fresh cooked ground lamb too, but leftovers (leftover turkey loaf will be good too) work perfectly in these pies.
Pies are very aromatic, meaty and delicious, will freeze perfectly for snacking later. I found them best served for family dinners with red wine. So make them for thanksgiving feast now and freeze for the big day. Or make them after thanksgiving using leftover turkey or meat loaf for enjoying the festive food for long time.
Spiced Lamb Pies
- 1/2 lbs Lamb (cooked ground lamb or I used leftover lamb meat loaf)
- 2 & 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour (1 cup whole wheat and 1 & 3/4 cup all-purpose added to 1 & 1/2 cup lukewarm water)
- 1 tbsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ginger (fresh grated or fine chopped)
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Salt (for dough)
- 1 tbsp Sugar (for dough)
- 1 Bell Pepper (Yellow or orange pepper very thin sliced)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (thin sliced)
- Salt and Black Pepper (per taste and also according to if you making fresh lamb or pre-seasoned using leftovers)
- 1-2 tsp Garlic
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. For the dough - Spread yeast and 1 pinch sugar in ½ cup lukewarm water and let it foam up for 10 minutes stir once in between. In a mixer with dough hook attached or in a large bowl, add remaining 1 cup lukewarm water, yeast mixture, salt and sugar. Add 2 cups flour ( 1 cup whole wheat and one cup all-purpose). Knead till sticky dough forms. Now add ¼ cup all-purpose flour at a time till dough comes together and make slightly sticky ball (about 5 minutes)
2. Knead for additional 4-5 minutes. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl, turn upside down, so that dough is completely covered with oil and leave covered for till it doubles in size.
3. For filling - to make the filling, break leftover lamb meat loaf using fork to crumbs. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add crumbled lamb and saute till brown. Remove from pan on a paper towel and leave aside.4. In the same pan, add chopped garlic, onion, bell pepper and saute till onion are soft (3-4 minutes) Add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric and cayenne and continue saute for 2 minutes. Add lamb back to pan and mix well.
5. Leave aside until cools completely.6. To assemble pies, knock air out of risen dough. Let it rest for five minutes. Divide dough in two parts. cover one part with kitchen towel and divide rest into 12 equal parts. Cover 6 parts with kitchen towel and roll rest to 4 inch diameter round circle each. Top each circle with 1 heaping tbsp of cooled lamb mixture.
7. Pinch two sides of flat dough - as shown in picture to make a triangle.8. Lift and pinch in the third open side and set aside on a sheet lined with parchment paper.
9. Repeat step 7 and 8 for all of the remaining dough to make 24 pies. You will need 4 baking sheets, 6 per sheet and space'em at least 2 inch apart.10. Preheat oven at 450 F. Sprinkle pies with few pinches of dry all-purpose flour. Cover with dry kitchen towel and let rise in room temperature for 20 minutes. Pies will not double in size but will appear to be bit fluffy. Bake for 10-15 minutes till bottom of pies are golden brown, crispy. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Savita's Notes:I have used leftover lamb meat loaf for this recipe but you can cook fresh ground lamb meat with spices mentioned in recipe below, just add 2 tbsp tomato paste while cooking.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to mention recipe name on your blog, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.