Sharing with you easy, 20 minutes grilled dinner recipe - Whole Branzino seasoned with cajon seasoning, lemons and rosemary sprigs, served with grilled asparagus and cajon seasoned corn on the cob. To me, this-was-less-workout. How?? I know, you are thinking, fish is healthy and has far less calories, hence no-workout. This whole platter with grilled fish as star on plate is indeed very healthy but I am talking about my trips (workout) to kitchen when Vishal is grilling outdoors.
Few things I love about cooking outdoors - no-mess, easy cleanups and great times. The thing I hate when cooking outdoors is - repeat trips to kitchen. I know!!! If Vishal is grilling outdoors, I have to keep going to-and-fro from kitchen to patio until we finally sit to eat. He often grills with so much enthusiasm that his demands keep pouring in whole time! Get me the tongs, get me a plate, take this plate, bring seasoning, bring oil and yada yada yada!!
I try to keep a lot of stuff ready but yet he has something in his list which I sure have missed :) In his books, I am his line-chef at that time. When you are on-line, you can't rest baby!!
Today, when we decided to eat grilled fish for dinner, I prepared everything in advance. As we were just grilling one whole branzino, time spent near grill was anyways far less. Fish grills so quickly and veggies hardly need much time. Still, from seasoning the fish, cutting veggies to getting the platter ready just next to the grill, I took care of everything like a rehearsed parrot. I even kept the knife and spoons ready to eat :) He still announced what he wants next, a lot of time, but mostly I just answered and saved the leg-work. And in no time, fish was ready. hmmm.. lets eat :) :)
Branzino (sliver skinned European Seabass) is great fish for grilling. Once grilled, Branzino's skin gets crispy and brown. If seasoned properly, like I seasoned it with with zesty cajon seasoning and lemon, takes its taste to whole new level. Imagine, crispy yum fish skin with moist and citrus-y inside. oh ho ho ho!!! Doesn't it sound mouthwatering good?
When buying Whole Branzino, make sure to ask butcher to remove rib bone. This really makes eating Branzino far less tricky. First time we bought whole Branzino, I remember Vishal took 30 minutes to finish half of it. Crazy!! right? But bones in whole fish really require some skills to eat fish or ask your butcher to remove bones.
Oh!! I forgot to mention. We always tie stuffed whole fish with kitchen twine. This makes the flipping on grill very less messy since nothing falls in the grill or no stick turning or tossing.
We paired Whole Branzino with grilled veggies (as seen in pictures) and some lemon fried rice. Anything lemony goes great with grilled fish. Don't just believe me. Try for yourself!
Vishal surprise me today with this quick smoke paprika rubbed grilled tofu on the side. Super yummy!! I have to ask head chef, Mr. "Chef De Grilling" for this recipe.
All-in-all whole branzino grilled dinner was great success. I am all ready to repeat it any weekday. Much less work needed and just 15 minutes from grill to dinner table. What else does tired foodie need?
- Seasoned Fish
- 1 lbs Fish (Whole Branzino, bone removed)
- 1 tbsp Cajon Seasoning (or more if you prefer)
- 2 Lemon (whole lemon, sliced into thin slices)
- 2 Rosemary (fresh rosemary sprigs or 1 tbsp dried rosemary)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Grilled Sides
- 1/2 lbs Asparagus (a small bunch)
- 2 Corn (corn on cobs, whole or sliced each in 3 pieces)
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (or dark red cherries, optional)
- Salt and Black Pepper (as per taste)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
1. Season inside of Barnzino with salt, black pepper and cajon seasoning. Place lemon slices in a even layer. Season lemon slices with pinch of salt and pepper too. Place rosemary sprigs on the top. Close the fish and tie with twine to keep everything inside (if you prefer). Drizzle 1 tbsp oil on top of fish and season top with salt and pepper as well.
2. While grill is heating up, season the asparagus and corn with salt, pepper, oil and cajon seasoning. Grill fish on hot side of grill for 6 minute each side. Resist the temptation to flip the grill in-between, it may result in tearing of skin. When grill is half way cooked, place corn and asparagus on grill.Grill'em till nicely charred and tender.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.