Lemon Rice are great way to turn leftover rice into a excellent lunch or a filling side dish. In-fact, some weeknights I specially cook extra rice to make Lemon Rice for lunch!
Posted By Savita
Lemon Rice is an excellent vegetarian recipe idea which in my world is a "great utilization of leftover rice". You can also use fresh steamed or boiled rice for this recipe, but leftover taste and more importantly stir-fry better. Think about saving some rice from Sunday supper and making quick and delicious Lemon Rice recipe for Monday Lunch.
My family love these rice for lunch with side of fresh fruit. All seasons! In-fact, some weeknights I specially cook extra rice to make Lemon Rice for next day's lunch. Takes just 15 minutes start to finish.
Lemon Rice recipe is a day to day South Indian staple and also made during festive season. I even make it for picnic or pack it to-go for short trips. You can use any type of fully cooked rice, I prefer Basmati Rice for its low GI.
These lemon rice pictures I took recently again, while packing lunch for a short trip.
Try Lemon Rice. I'm sure you have all ingredients, to make this lunch, in your pantry! -Happy Cooking
- 2.5 Cup Basmati Rice (cooked and cooled (leftovers work best for this recipe))
- 1/4 Cup Peanuts (raw or toasted)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric (powder)
- 4-5 Curry Leaf
- 2-3 tbsp Lemon (juice. Adjust per taste)
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 1-2 Whole Red Chili (optional)
- 1/4 Bunch Cilantro (fresh leaves, chopped)
1. Prep Spiced Oil: Heat oil in a wok or a sauté pan. Add mustard seeds, allow to splutter. If using raw peanuts, add now and fry for 30 seconds. (if using roasted peanuts, add in last step.) Add dry red chilies, curry leaves and fry for another 30 seconds.
Additional NotesMustard seeds and curry leaf sputter and splash in hot oil. Be ready to cover pan with splash sheet after adding these in oil.
2. Fry Rice with Spice and Lemon: Now turmeric powder, chili powder and fry for 10 seconds. Add cooked rice. Pour lemon juice, sprinkle salt on rice. Mix rice into oil and spices sitting at the bottom of pan, stir-fry briefly until rice are nicely yellow in color.
Additional NotesMix gently If using fresh cooked rice as fresh rice tend to break quickly.
3. Garnish and Serve Lemon Rice: If using roasted peanuts, mix in now along with chopped cilantro leaves. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice. Lemon Rice are ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
Additional NotesWe love eating lemon rice as-is for lunch or one the side with meat/veggie main course.
- If you don't like Peanuts, Cashew nuts can be good substitute. Fry in oil at the same time when frying peanuts. (for raw) If toasted, add at the end.
- Even though not traditionally, I even love adding Raisins in this rice recipe. The layer of sweetness of raisins pair very nicely with lemon and spice.
- Mustard seeds and curry leaf sputter and splash in hot oil. Be ready to cover pan with splash sheet after adding these in oil.
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.