Sparkling Hibiscus Lemonade
Posted By Savita
Lemonades are favorite summer drinks in every part of the world. Lemony and sweet, perfect way to replenish your body after a long day in scorching heat. Even though, plain lemonade is favorite among my family and friends. I happen to know that kids love pink lemonade and especially daughters of one our family friends, simply jump with joy on hearing the word - Pink Lemonade!!
Aunty made some Pink Lemonade for you!! Pink Lemonade!! Yeah!!!
I want some!!! I want some!!!
And then, they will need nothing else but the Pink Lemonade.
Last weekend, when they were visiting, I decided to add a little twist to their Pink Lemonade. Instead of making a berry lemonade or buying Italian Pink Lemonade from Trader Joe's, I decided to make some refreshing lemonade with Hibiscus for my little girls. And believe me they went crazy!! It was not even pure pink color, yet little pinkish-orange and they still loved it. Go figure.
Hibiscus, is deep red color plant, grown in warm climates and used all over the world in various ways. Especially in Asian Countries, dried Hibiscus flower is used a lot in variety of teas. It is even used to make red color tattoos!! Dried hibiscus is edible, and is often a delicacy in Mexico. It can also be candied and used as a garnish.
I tried Hibiscus first time in Cold Tea sold at Starbucks and later I found small packets of dried hibiscus flowers in spice section of Walmart and Vons (about $1.30 per packet). So, if you are first time hibiscus users, buy this small package and if you like it, you can buy more. easy on pocket!! right!
Hibiscus flowers are tart in taste, so hibiscus lemonade will need less lemon juice. Also, I made lemonade with honey and sparkling water. Feel free to use sugar or regular water if you want to.
It takes just 10 minutes to make syrup as well as well lemonade and it tastes delicious.
Craving for more? Sign up for the Chef De Home Newsletter for a plateful of contents delivered to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Sparkling Hibiscus Lemonade
- 7 Grams Dried Hibscus Flowers (about 5-6 flowers or use 2 tbsp hibiscus syrup)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/3 Cup Honey (or use 1/2 cup regular white sugar)
- 3 Lemon (1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 lemon sliced thin)
- Sparkling Water (as per need)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
1. Hibiscus Syrup - Bring hibiscus flower, water, (lemon ends, optional) and honey (or sugar) to a rolling boil, then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved (if using) and hibiscus has given water a deep dark color. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
Additional NotesIf using Hibiscus Syrup instead of flowers, then skip this step and also start with less honey/sugar, taste and adjust at the end.
2. I often quickly cool the syrup by placing pan on top of ice bath for 2-3 minutes. It will yield about 1 cup syrup.
3. Hibiscus Lemonade - Slice half lemon into thin slices and squeeze the juice of rest lemon into a pitcher or glass jar. Add hibiscus syrup and stir to combine. Add sparkling water just before serving. Serve in glasses filled with ice per need and enjoy!!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please do not use content/images without prior permission. If you want to use recipe instructions, re-write the recipe in your own words, and link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.