One Pot Buffalo Chicken and Rice Casserole
Flavor of game day favorite buffalo chicken wings in a chicken and rice casserole. A gluten free dinner all will enjoy!
Posted By Savita
A comforting cheesy chicken and rice casserole loaded with buffalo sauce, chicken, veggies, rice and melted cheese!
This, my friends, is my take on weekend game-day favorite Buffalo Chicken turned into a comforting winter dinner! You need just 5 minutes of prep and 20 minutes of cooking time.
Just like you, I love one pot meal or casseroles. Seriously, these make weeknight dinners so easy and manageable. Specially on a breezy fall evening or cold winter night… casseroles bestow double blessings! First, quick dinner with no dishes to wash and second, heat of stove and oven to warm home naturally. Kinda like kill-2-birds-with-one-stone.
Oh, and that reminds me if dinner happens to be chicken dinner with buffalo wing sauce flavors! That's even better! :-)
I won't chirp for my love for casseroles just yet since first I'm so excited to share how flavorful and amazingly delicious this chicken and rice casseroles is!
By far it is our new family-favorite!
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (medium onion, small diced)
- 1.5 Cup Rice
- 1 lbs Chicken (thighs, thin sliced)
- 1/3 Cup Hot Sauce (Buffalo mild Hot Sauce)
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce (8 ounce can)
- 2 Celery (stalks, small diced)
- 2 Carrots (small diced)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 3 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 2 Cup Chicken Stock (prefrably low-sodium, homemade or store-bought)
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (or Mexican blend, shredded)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 3-4 tbsp Cilantro (for garnish)
- Sour Cream (blue cheese dressing or sour cream, for serving)
- 1. In heavy bottom crock pot or deep skillet, heat 1 tbsp. of oil. Salt and pepper the chicken slices and cook in skillet until brown from both sides and cooked through. Remove chicken in a plate, whip of the oil but leave behind the bits attached to bottom of pan (if any).
- 2. Add 1 tbsp. of fresh oil, with garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Saute until onions are soft (2-3 minutes).
- 3. Add cumin powder, saute for 30 seconds. Now, add hot sauce and tomato sauce with 2 cups of chicken stock and rice. Mix well. Bring to simmer. Cover and cook one low-medium for 12-15 minutes or until rice are cooked through and most of the water is absorbed.
- 4. Once rice are cooked, add in chopped cooked chicken, and herbs (cilantro). Fold in the chicken.
- 5. Now, top with grated cheese.
- 6. Broil for 5-7 minutes until cheese has melted and bubbling. Let it cool down a bit before serving. Enjoy!
I used regular white rice for this recipe which takes about 12-13 minutes. Amount of liquid and cooking time will vary if using any other variety of rice.
Standard Buffalo sauce is mild hot. So rice may look deep orange but are not overly spicy. I like to serve sour cream on the side and veggie stick to balance the flavors.