Roasted Garlic and Tomatoes Soup
Day 11 of "15 days to Thanksgiving"
Sharing with you creamy and garlicky - roasted garlic and tomatoes soup, a bowl full of comfort, warmth, memories, and love....
Tomato Soups always bring back a lots of old memories for me. My grandpa used to make excellent tomato soup and I had exclusive privilege to sit on kitchen counter while he made the soup.... starting from blanching the tomatoes to when whole kitchen was filled with that warm soup aroma..... Everyone waited for tasting the soup and I tasted it at every step...... hearing grandpa's lovely old stories of kings and queens. He told those stories to keep me busy while he peeled blanched tomatoes.... and I enjoyed every moment.... until a lush-red and creamy tomato soup was ready..... ah... those were great days of my childhood.... miss you so much grandpa....
Few years ago, I had a long break from tomato soup(s) due to an unfortunate soup-dislike phase, but Boudin Bakery's Roasted Garlic Tomato soup made me get back my love for tomato soup again. Their Saturday special in California, is a roasted-garlic-tomato soup, which is favorite of me and Vishal.
You know, I always try to create flavors, I love, at home. This recipe, I am sharing today is my attempt to pamper the child in me, with my loving Tomato Soup and to enjoy flavors of Boudin Bakery's Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup at home. I decided to include this soup as part of Thanksgiving Event to add taste of some home comfort....
I have been trying to write less this whole Thanksgiving and share more. but... blogging is such a platform..... as I open the Post Dialog..... words just start to pour-in..... I am thankful to all of you for being such a wonderful reader...... thank you for all your time and your lovely likes, pins, comments and emails... I am always happy to share new recipes and memories from my kitchen with you.
Happy thanksgiving in advance. Hope you having lots of fun prepping and waiting for the Turkey Day!
Here are few more delicious soups recipes from my kitchen:
Roasted Garlic and Tomatoes Soupreview) (1
IngredientsRoasting Garlic and Tomatoes
- 1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- 2. On a sheet pan, spread quartered roma tomatoes and place split garlic head on the side. Drizzle olive oil to coat everything. Sprinkle generous amount of salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
3. Place sheet in oven and roast for 20-25 minutes until tomatoes have charred edges and garlic is soft to touch and charred at the edges. Additional Notes: Read more about roasting in the notes below.4. While tomatoes and garlic are roasting, slice carrot, celery, sun-dried tomatoes, and yellow onion. Also remove canned whole tomatoes in a bowl and crush all tomatoes with hand or you can also puree tomatoes using food processor/hand blender.
5. In heavy bottom deep pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil. when oil is warm, add all sliced veggies and saute for 4-5 minutes, or until carrot and celery are soft and aromatic. Sprinkle 2 tbsp flour on top and cook stirring continuously until raw taste of flour disappears. (2 minutes), don't let mixture get brown, then add Italian seasoning and stir to combine.6. Once tomatoes and garlic are roasted. Remove burnt skin of garlic, mince garlic, and chop tomatoes. Add to the pot with crushed tomatoes, stock, and sugar.
7. Bring mixture to boil, then cover and simmer for 25 minutes at medium-low heat, or until soup has thickened and reduced by about 1 cup.8. Stir in heavy cream, taste and adjust salt and black pepper. Additional Notes: Addition of flour for thickness let me cut some heavy cream in this soup. However, for a creamier soup, feel free to add more cream.
- 9. Serve hot with bread of your choice.
This soup has chunky tomato texture. For smooth soup, puree canned whole tomatoes and roasted tomatoes using a hand blender or processor before adding to the pan.
Roasted garlic tomato soup freezes well. Portion the soup in freezer safe zip-bags or containers. Reheat in microwave before serving.
Roasting You can roast tomatoes and garlic a little longer, another 5-8 minutes to further concentrate the flavor, but I find 25 minutes adding enough magic, i mean roasted flavor, to the soup. Or if pressing for time, simply use roasted canned tomatoes and roast garlic on open flame as described below.
Roasting Garlic on Stove/Grill: To roast garlic on open flame, cut open garlic head in half and place on a aluminium sheet, large enough to make wrap around garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Seal garlic in the foil. Place aluminium foil on low flame and let it cook until garlic is nice and tender, and skin of garlic has charred. (about 5-7 minutes). You will know when garlic is ready. Kitchen will be filled with roasted garlic aroma, hard to miss!
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Leave a Message:
Did you try the recipe? Do you have feedback or a question? Leave a message below.
CkRowlandThis soup is so fantastic. My mom and my daughter loved it. This will be in our regular rotation of dinner from now on.
SavitaI’m glad your family enjoyed.
Lennie O' LearyThis is SO tasty, gives you a real warm feeling with the roasted garlic, yum!
SavitaLennie, thanks! Roasted garlic is my favorite too in this soup. I'm glad you enjoyed!
SavitaRitu, thank you dear!! Glad to see you around! Indeed this soup, and tomato soups in general are our favorite during winters!
Ritu ahujaThis soup looks super delicious. Perfect for this weather. Very tempting. :)
Savitathanks @Adam and @Donna
Adam RGreat looking soup! I have to try this recipe soon!!!
Donna Yenlove roasted garlic and tomato soup. good clicks, Savita!