Vegan, Zesty and Warm Radish-Potatoes Bowl | Indian Vrat Ki Chatpati Aloo Mooli Sabji
Posted By Savita
Sharing with you one of my favorite Indian Navratri dish that I have all the time during 7 days of Gluten Free and vegan Navratri Fasting season.
Even though it is a warm potato side, star of show is Red Radish! Radish not just lighten-up starchy potato side, but also add a nice crunchy element!
We are huge fan of radish in my family. Specially, Daikon Radish! In cooked versions, grated radish stuffed flat bread is very, I mean, really very famous Indian breakfast. Red or rainbow radish are often eaten only raw!
But... during fasting period, radish is like THE most delicious and lite way to brighten up the flavor of starch-heavy potatoes! Red radish or daikon, I love using radish in my cooking during fasts! Often as a bowl of pan-roasted crispy potato and still crunchy radish, spiced up with cumin and splash of fresh lemon juice. Flavor bomb, filling yet not a heavy potato salad bowl!
Plus it is Vegan, Gluten Free, Nut-Free, Ginger and Garlic Free too!
- 2 Potatoes (medium, red or yukon gold, about 2 cups, diced)
- 10-12 Radish (red small or half daikon radish, diced to bite-size pieces)
- 1" Ginger (peeled, small chopped)
- 1 Jalapeno (or green chili of your choice, sliced)
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (or 2 medium ripe tomatoes, diced)
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 Lemon (juice of half, rest for garnish)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Powder (or paprika)
- Salt (per taste)
Pan Roasted Potatoes and Radish
- 1. Heat oil in a pan, add diced potatoes and cook until potatoes are knife tender (about 6 minutes).
- 2. When potatoes are tender, add diced tomatoes, diced radish, ginger, jalapeno, followed by cumin powder, coriander powder, generous 2 pinch of salt, red pepper powder, and half of the lemon juice.
- 3. Cook on high for 4 minutes or until tomatoes started to release juice and are wrinkled at certain places. Add remaining juice, and remove from heat. Taste and adjust salt. Serve hot with lemon wedges on side! enjoy!