Spiced Breakfast Egg Casserole
Vegetarian spiced breakfast egg casserole loaded with veggies and spices which make this meat-less casserole bursting with flavour.
Posted By Savita
Sharing today, an easy, vegetarian, spiced breakfast egg casserole loaded with veggies, bread, eggs, flavorful Indian spices, and cheese.
Eggs and Bread are two important and humble breakfast ingredients which can be made as fancy or as simple as we want to. When I decided to mix-up my breakfast favorites into a egg casserole.. I decided to keep it super easy and simple yet packed with flavor - loaded with veggies, eggs and bread, and spices (of course).
You won't believe this beautiful casserole needs just 7 minutes of prep. Rest is the job of our trusty oven. 40 minutes later, delicious warm breakfast is ready to devour.
Also, look at the money it will save for a family of 4 - easy 50 bucks!
So, let's get started!
I was wanting since long to make this spiced breakfast casserole... During the long weekend of Thanksgiving, we were planning a grand diner breakfast - more of a brunch. When I went to kitchen to make morning tea.. I saw 3/4 loaf of day old sliced french bread which changed my plans. Instead of going out and spending 1...
- 1 White Bread (or french bread, 12 slices, quatered)
- 7 Egg(s)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese (or cheese blend, shredded)
- 2-3 tbsp Cilantro (or parsley, chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder (or paprika)
- 1 Cup Green Peas
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (or yellow onion, small diced)
- 1 tsp Garlic (1-2 cloves, minced)
- 2 Bell Pepper (cored, small diced)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Serrano pepper (or jalapeno, minced)
- 1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Butter a 13 inc X 9 inch casserole dish.
- 2. Heat oil in a saute pan. Add garlic and let perfume oil for 30 seconds. Add diced onion, diced bell peppers, ginger, jalapeno, and cook until soft. (3-4 minutes) Add frozen green peas, tomato paste, garam masala, chili powder, and cumin powder with generous pinch or 2 of salt. Saute for 1-2 min. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3. Layer pieces of bread in the buttered baking dish, (use small pieces to fit as necessary to cover bottom of the dish completely).
- 4. Top with cooked pepper mixture, and remaining bread in three layers finishing top with remaining pepper mixture.
- 5. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and black pepper. Pour carefully over the bread, try to cover all nooks and corners. If cooking in morning, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 6. Bake in preheat oven, uncovered for about 40 minutes. After 20 minutes, sprinkle cheese on the top and cook for remaining 20 minutes.
- 7. Let it stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle fresh herbs and scallians before serving