Spiced Breakfast Egg Casserole
Vegetarian spiced breakfast egg casserole bursting with flavor of fragrant warm spices. You will be surprised how easy and quickly it comes together. A delicious savory yet meat-less option for brunch
Sharing today, an easy vegetarian, spiced breakfast egg casserole loaded with flavor of warm spices. It makes comforting chili weather breakfast or brunch. You can even prep casserole at night and simply bake in the morning. Meatless, loaded with veggies and flavorful spices, this casserole will some become family favorite.
Eggs and Bread are two important and humble breakfast ingredients which can be made as fancy or as simple as we want to. When I decided to mix-up my breakfast favorites into a egg casserole.. I decided to keep it super easy and simple yet packed with flavor - loaded with veggies, eggs and bread, and spices (of course).
You won't believe this beautiful casserole needs just 7 minutes of prep. Rest is the job of our trusty oven. 40 minutes later, delicious warm breakfast is ready to devour.
Also, look at the money it will save for a family of 4 - easy 50 bucks!
So, let's get started!
During the long weekend of Thanksgiving, we were planning a grand diner breakfast - more of a brunch. When I went to kitchen to make morning tea.. I saw 3/4 loaf of day old sliced French bread which changed my plans. Instead of going out and spending 1 hr waiting at diner… I decided to quickly assemble a homemade egg casserole for breakfast.
My inspiration behind this spiced casserole is Indian Egg Toast which is a spiced and savory French toast made with eggs, milk, bread, and spices. In India, breakfast may have eggs but mostly it has no-meat and some veggies. This thought made me keep this casserole vegetarian.
What Do You Need to Make Egg Casserole?
Few breakfast casserole staples such bread, egg, milk, cheese, with veggies and spices. That's all you need.
Here is a complete list of ingredients:
- Day old bread
- Cheddar cheese
- Red Onion, Garlic
- Green Peas
- Bell Pepper
- Garam Masala
If you can't find garam masala. Make some fresh at home. I have an easy recipe for Garam Masala.
Making Breakfast Egg Casserole
To make the casserole, I start by sautéing the onion and garlic, small chopped veggies with garam masala, paprika, and tomato paste. Sauté until veggies are soft.
Next, I follow the key points above to assemble the casserole in 2 quart baking dish.
To make colorful presentation, I also decided to layer veggies and bread slices in alternate fashion, almost like a breakfast casserole lasagna.
40 minutes in oven and breakfast casserole is ready to serve. Golden crisp edges and kitchen filled with aroma of spices. Yumm!
This is a must try recipe.
Use Vegetables of Choice
Being a vegetarian casserole, you can swap any or all veggies in this as per your preference.
Any day, I would love some diced zucchini, cauliflower, beans and even veggie sausage for some meaty texture. Only key is to cut veggies in same size which level well within layers of bread.
Key to Making Perfect Breakfast Casserole:
True test of perfectly cooked bread casserole is baking dish sparkling clean when strata is lifted. To achieve that, I make sure to:
1) Butter/oil the dish before adding prepared ingredients.
2) Use correct proportion of egg to milk ratio. (in short follow the recipe)
3) Layer the bread in one even layer and cover all nooks and crannies in casserole dish. This helps bread absorb milk-egg mixture evenly.
4) It is also important to let casserole rest after baking, say for 10-12 minutes. During this time, bread sets-in, soaks in any remaining liquid.
It is perfect served it with hot chai tea or coffee (optionally or a dollop of thick Greek yogurt or Sour Cream)
Above pictures show my favorite way to eat egg casserole (topped with Greek yogurt) and cup of hot tea. You can also serve this savory egg casserole with some hot sauce, sour cream or cheese sauce.
I hope this warm breakfast will warm-up your family on a beautiful weekend morning. Since it is so easy to put together.. bake a grand breakfast at home this weekend. Happy holidays.
Spiced Breakfast Egg Casserolereviews) (5
- 1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Butter a 13 inc X 9 inch casserole dish.
- 2. Heat oil in a saute pan. Add garlic and let perfume oil for 30 seconds. Add diced onion, diced bell peppers, ginger, jalapeno, and cook until soft. (3-4 minutes) Add frozen green peas, tomato paste, garam masala, chili powder, and cumin powder with generous pinch or 2 of salt. Saute for 1-2 min. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Layer pieces of bread in the buttered baking dish, (use small pieces to fit as necessary to cover bottom of the dish completely).4. Top with cooked pepper mixture, and remaining bread in three layers finishing top with remaining pepper mixture.
5. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and black pepper. Pour carefully over the bread, try to cover all nooks and corners. If cooking in morning, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.6. Bake in preheat oven, uncovered for about 40 minutes. After 20 minutes, sprinkle cheese on the top and cook for remaining 20 minutes.
- 7. Let it stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle fresh herbs and scallians before serving
- If you can't find garam masala. Make some fresh at home. I have an easy recipe for Garam Masala.
- This spiced Casserole perfect served it with hot chai tea or coffee (optionally or a dollop of thick Greek yogurt or Sour Cream)
- You can swap any or all veggies in this as per your preference. Only key is to cut veggies in same size which level well within layers of bread.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.
Leave a Message:
Did you try the recipe? Do you have feedback or a question? Leave a message below.
MinWow. This is such a delicious brunch dish! Love the add of garam masala in this, bringing it so much flavor
BethSuch a delicious breakfast. We make it a lot. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
DanaThis is such a delicious egg casserole! Love all the flavors and I love how easy it is to throw together.
TaylerI made this casserole for breakfast yesterday and my whole family loved it! Definitely making again for Christmas!
CharlesI love it! Just when you think you’ve used eggs a thousand ways, there’s one more! Thanks for sharing