Vegetarian Cabbage Soup
An easy and healthy vegetarian cabbage soup for soup detox diet. This soup is so flavorful you will not feel you are on a diet-plan!
Posted By Savita
An easy and clean vegetarian cabbage soup recipe made with fresh cabbage, tomatoes, mixed vegetable medley, oregano, and vegetable broth.
This cabbage soup is one of the best diet soup ever because cabbage makes it filling and added array of vegetable has so much flavor that it does not feel like a lite diet soup. Plus I'm full for a long time after enjoying a bowl of this chunky soup... Staying full longer means no mid-time food cravings and hence, a great weight loss!
Cabbage soup is also oil-free since I only use oil spray to saute the onions. Mostly I cook ingredients in filtered water and add good dose of garlic/herbs/veggies/tomatoes to compensate for the flavor.. Or I use non-fat vegetable stock.
After all, a diet soup does not have to boring or just a bowl of boiled vegetables. Don't you think? Flavor is must!
- 2-3 Cup Cabbage (1/2 head cabbage, small chopped)
- 1 Cup Tomatoes (2 medium tomatoes, small diced or use 8 ounce can of crushed tomatoes)
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (small diced)
- 1 Cup Mix Vegetables (I used 1 cup frozen vegetable medley)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 2-3 tbsp Basil (fresh, or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon (juice, adjust per taste)
- 4 Cup Vegetable Stock (low-sodium low-fat stock, or water)
- Oil Spray
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1. Spray a heavy bottom deep pan with cooking oil spray. Add onion, garlic, oregano, tomato paste with pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes or until onion are translucent.. Stir well so that garlic does not burn.
- 2. Add tomato and basil, then saute for 2 more minutes.
- 3. Add cabbage, mix frozen/fresh vegetables, water (or vegetable broth if using), generous pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
- 4. Once cabbage and other veggies are tender. Switch off heat. Stir in lemon juice and fresh chopped parsley. Taste then adjust salt and black pepper. Serve hot. **Follow instructions below to portion soup for cabbage soup diet plan.
**Portion Soup for Cabbage Soup Diet Plan :
The recipe above yields 7-8 cups of filling cabbage soup.When I'm making this soup for week's soup diet plan.. I let soup cool down then pack in 1-2 cups of individual servings. Since soups stays good in refrigerator for 4 days. I leave first 4 serving in refrigerator and freeze the rest.