Matar Pata Gobi Ki Sabji
Cabbage and Peas stir-fry with mild Indian Spices. Vegan and Gluten Free
Posted By Savita
As a flavorful vegetarian side or meat-less main course, this vegan and gluten free Indian Curry Cabbage keeps dinner healthy and delicious!
Cabbage (Pata Gobi) Matar (Peas) Sabzi (or sabji) is very delicious, every-day meat-less main course in Indian Homes! and my home is not different! This versatile dish can be eaten as both: main course or as side with meat main course!
My family love enjoying, an easy and lite Indian dinner with Cabbage and Peas stir-fry and side of whole wheat roti and yogurt (curd) raita.
This is a kind of meal which you can prepare under 30 minutes! Once masala (onion mixture and spices) for Sabji are cooked, you just add cabbage and let it get little tender. While cabbage cooks, just warm the Roti and make Raita! In no time, a healthy dinner is ready to-be devoured!
Earlier I used cook cabbage (pata gobi) until it gets very soft and tender. This is actually the way I grew-up eating it. However, Vishal likes Matar Pata Gobi Ki Sabji, a little on crunchy side. So, these days I have started cooking it little less. Good for me, now it get's ready even quicker!
Traditionally, many people add tomatoes to this dish for some tang. But I have never added tomatoes. I think tomatoes make Pata Gobi very soggy and not-appealing.... Instead, I add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice just before finish-ing the cooking. This adds much needed tang and gives savory notes to Mata Pata Gobi Sabji!
Try it once! I'm sure will LOVE the sweet and tangy flavor. I promise!
Main Course Side:
This quick cabbage recipe is also works perfect for a main-course-side. Serve with grilled meat dinner to include a hearty serving of vegetables in your family's meal!
Nutrition Info: This side is gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free and also for paleo diet. For paleo, just use natural cold-pressed olive oil instead of refined canola oil.
Friends, I'm sure you'll have some cabbage in refrigerator! Don't wait, try it tonight and let me know how you like it….
Few of my favorite sides for serving, Matar Pata Gobi, as Indian Main Course Dinner:
Matar Pata Gobi Ki Sabji
- 1 Cabbage (medium, rough small chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas (frozen, if using fresh, boil before using)
- 1 tsp Lemon (juice)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Powder (paprika, or indian lal mirch, adjust per taste)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt (adjust per taste)
- 1/2 Cup White Onion (medium, white or red onion)
- 2-3 Garlic (cloves)
- 1 inch Ginger (fresh ginger root)
- 2 Hot Green Pepper (small) (green chili pepper, or 1/4 serrano)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Grind onion, garlic, green chilies to a coarse consistency.2. Heat oil in pan. Add mustard seeds and let'em start to cracker. Now, add cumin seeds, fry for 20 seconds. Then, add ground onion mixture and fry until onions are soft and have started to brown a little. (about 4-5 minutes) Add turmeric and peas, fry for 1 minute.
3. Now add chopped cabbage, half of salt, and all other spices mentioned in ingredient list.4. Mix to coat the cabbage. Cook partially covered for 7-8 minutes stirring well every 2-3 minutes until cabbage is tender. Now uncover the pan and cook on medium-high heat for 2 minutes (to dry out extra moisture in the pan)
5. Add chopped coriander and lemon juice. Stir to combine.6. Server with your choice of Indian naan bread or roti. You can also serve cabbage stir-fry as vegetarian side dish with meat or seafood main course.
If want to keep cabbage crunchy, don't cover the pot in step-4. Instead cook uncovered on medium high-heat for 5 minutes or until cabbage is just tender but still has bite! (this is my favorite non-traditional way of cooking, these days!)
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.