Vegan Tofu Scramble Kale Fried Rice
Healthy Kale Fried Rice with seasoned crispy tofu scramble (egg-style) and delicious Asian seasonings.
Vegan flavorful Kale Fried Rice with seasoned scrambled tofu that tastes like Asian egg fried rice.. only healthier!
Friends, this bowl of vegan fried rice is packed with vegetarian tofu protein, and naturally gluten free rice. Also, a calcium and nutrient rich serving of kale makes it a satisfying meatless meal for starting week on super healthy note.
If you love Fried Rice, I'm sure you know how easy this Asian dinner fly from kitchen to dinner table?! (almost always under 20 minutes). With vegan protein like tofu, it is even faster - just 15 minutes!
Kale Fried Rice makes great main course or a hearty dinner side. If you decide to serve a grilled or baked chicken or curry in main course.... Kale Fried Rice will still be a substantial and yummy side dish.
In my home, as much as everyone loves Fried Rice.... Kale keeps coming and going every few months.
Remember, I shared with you before? After a month or so of Kale in every grocery and in every (almost every) salad and often in main course.... one day Vishal would not let me bring it no more. :) Being married since long... now I know when is the time to stop bringing Kale and also when to jump back at the opportunity. ;)
So this time when I got to buy kale in fresh produce again..... I first made Kale Fried Rice which I was planning to share with you since sooo long. This was our meatless day of the week.... so I decided to surprise my family with vegan protein (tofu) fried rice which surpass commonly used eggs, in fried rice, in taste as well as texture.
Trust me, seasoned (with turmeric or curry powder, some lemon and salt) fried tofu not just makes these vegetarian fried rice substantial and healthy yet also gives texture just like fried scrambled eggs of fried rice..... exactly like sold in most Asian eateries but vegan and much much healthier! Tell me, how awesome does that sound??
PS: I fried tofu scramble-style in less oil and in a non-stick wok. For more textural contrast, increase oil for tofu frying... say a tbsp more and let tofu get more crispy.
After frying tofu, I take an extra minute to wipe clean the wok. Since I added curry powder (sometimes just turmeric if I don't have curry) in tofu... If I don't clean pan after frying tofu, it leaves a yellow hue on rice which looks like curry fried rice. However, this step is totally optional.
Once the tofu has been fried, Kale Fried Rice comes together pretty fast. The best thing about using kale over other leafy greens is that it does not wilt fully and it's texture stands out getting crispy as fried more...
For rice, my favorite choice is day-old rice. The texture of day old fried rice is always best to yield perfect fried rice. So I either cook rice a night before or in morning and refrigerate to make fried rice for dinner.
PS: The leftover take-away rice also make great fried rice.
To make fried rice portions more substantial, you can add in chopped veggies like bell pepper, celery, and even small chopped carrots.
Let's recap the diet-info for this super-easy meatless Monday dinner and then head straight to the recipe.
When served meatless, this bowl of kale fried rice is low-oil, gluten free, dairy-free, vegan, and packed with healthy nutrients of kale. Enjoy a bowlful today!
Love Kale? How about these delicious Kale Recipes?
Vegan Tofu Scramble Kale Fried Ricereview) (1
- Kale Fried Rice
- 1/2 lbs Tofu (firm tofu)
- 1 Bunch Kale (8-10 leaves, ribs removed, leaves thin sliced)
- 3 Cup Rice (cooked, day old prefered)
- 1-2 Garlic (clove, minced)
- 1 inch Ginger (thin sliced)
- 1/4 Cup Basil (fresh leaves, chopped)
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp White Pepper
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce (for gluten free use Tamari Soy Sauce)
- 1/2 tsp Curry Powder (or turmeric)
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1. Press tofu in paper towel until most water drained. Crumble or slice the tofu. Add curry powder (if using), salt and lemon juice and set aside.
- 2. Heat one tbsp oil in a wok or a non-stick wide saute pan on medium heat. Add tofu and stir fry until crisp at edges. Remove into a bowl. Whip pan clean.
3. Add remaining oil and bring to high heat. Add chopped garlic, ginger, and kale, then saute until kale has just wilted (1-2 minutes).4. Add rice, soy sauce, white pepper and stir fry until folding often until soy sauce is fully absorbed and rice pickup the soy color and flavor. (about 1-2 minutes)
5. Add in fried tofu and chopped fresh basil. Toss until everything heated through. Taste and adjust salt if needed.6. Serve hot and enjoy!
Also for best result always use firm tofu and pat it dry to remove as much moisture as possible.
© Chef De Home. Post content including video and photos are copyright protected.