One Pot Italian Wedding Soup
Mini Italian-style chicken meatballs cooked in one pot with flavorful chicken broth, pasta, and kale for an easy weeknight dinner.
Posted By Savita
Flavorful and hearty Italian wedding soup with meatballs, pasta and kale.. all cooked in one pot for an easy winter meal.
Why Wedding Soup? Well, no, I'm not hosting a wedding party.. but a comforting winter soup such as Italian Wedding Soup with pasta does not need a special occasion! Don't you think?!
Actually, you know what? History says, this soup is not even served at Italian Weddings! Go, figure! The Italian Wedding Soup recipe is inspired from an array of Italian soups famous world-wide such as minestrone soup, Italian pasta soup etc.
Only prep required for this soup is mixing ground chicken and seasonings, and scooping the meatballs. Rest of the soup comes together very fast because even meatballs are cooked in flavorful soup broth. I even cooked pasta in same broth which makes it an easy one-pot meal! Pasta also gives little velvety thickness to the soup which is my personal favorite!
- 1 lbs Chicken (ground, 80-20)
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese (grated, more for serving soup)
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 Shallot Onions
- 2 Garlic (cloves)
- 1/4 Cup Parsley
- 1 Egg(s)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Oil Spray
- 8 Cup Chicken Stock (low fat and low sodium, 2 of 32 ounce can)
- small Bunch Kale (curly kale leaves, small chopped)
- 1 Cup Pasta (small shape such as orzo, datlini, or stars)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1 Celery (stalk, small diced)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano (dried, or 8-10 fresh leaves)
- Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
Meatballs for Wedding Soup
Italian Wedding Soup
- 1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- 2. In a wide bowl, add breadcrumbs and milk. Mix and set aside.
In a food processor, add onion, garlic and parsly and pulse until fine chopped. Add to a bowl with egg, cheese, and chili flakes in bowl with breadcrumbs. Add ground chicken and mix to distribute the seasonings. Scoop mixture with 1 inch ice-cream scoop or a tablespoon and place on baking sheet. 1 lb chicken yields 28-30 meatballs.
Additional Notes:Follow instructions from notes to freeze half of meatballs for later.
- 4. Heat a deep heavy bottom pan, spray with cooking oil. Add diced onion, celery and oregano saute until onions are soft. Add chicken stock and bring to rolling boil. Drop in meatballs. Cook for 5 minutes, then add pasta, chopped kale, and continue cooking until meatballs are cooked and pasta is al-dente. (small shaped pasta took 8 minutes to get al-dente)
- 5. Ladle soup in serving bowls, add Parmesan (optional). Serve and enjoy.
Freeze Meatballs for Next Time: To freeze meatballs, scoop and place them spaced-apart on sheet tray lined with parchment. Place the sheet tray with meatballs in freezer. In 2-3 hours, meatballs freeze fully. Then, add to reseal-able bag and freeze for later use.