Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken
Posted By Savita
I have been waiting eagerly to share this, my very favorite, Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken with all of you.
In one line I would describe this Chinese chicken dish as lite and crispy chicken coated in sweet and sour sticky sauce! Oh me! Even describing it makes me hungry for some Chicken! yummo!
Good thing is, this recipe takes just 25 minutes start to finish! I mean, it will need more time to order a takeout and wait for the delivery than make a batch right in your own kitchen! And don't even get me started on the quality and price! (thank you) lol!
I had this recipe in mind from sometime... more than a year actually.. Just recently I got time take some clicks. So thought to share with you all.
So, let's make some chicken dinner! Shall we?!
Chinese/Indian Chicken recipes are more about sauce than protein itself!!
In my opinion, a perfect tasting sauce is the important step for getting any Asian recipe... actually any recipe, right. Don't you think?
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup Pineapple (juice)
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Agave Syrup (or honey)
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste (2 garlic cloves and one inch ginger, grated)
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 lbs Chicken (boneless and skin-less, cubed)
- 2 Egg(s)
- 5 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1/4 tsp Salt and Black Pepper
- Canola Oil (or oil of choice, for frying)
- Rice (cooked, as much as needed)
- 1 Cup Pineapple (diced, and pineapple shell (optional) for presentation )
- Green Onion (for garnish)
Sweet and Sour Chicken Sauce
Crispy Chinese (Breaded) Chicken
- 1. Start heating oil for frying in a heavy bottom cast-iron pan. While oil is heating up, in a wide bowl, mix all of the Sweet and Sour Chicken Sauce ingredients. Whisk to combine well. Make sure honey/agave is fully mixed with other ingredients. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, add eggs, and beat well. Season with generous pinch or two of salt and black pepper. Add cubed chicken pieces and coat well. On a large plate, or a paper bag add corn starch. Season with generous pinch or two of salt and black pepper. Add egg coated chicken and toss well to bread evenly.
Additional Notes:I like to add 2 tbsp of sweet and sour sauce in egg mixture that makes chicken crust very flavorful.
- 3. Shallow fry breaded chicken in oil until crispy from all sides and is fully cooked.
- 4. I fried chicken in two batches, 5-6 minutes each batch. Remove fried chicken on a paper lined plate to drain excess oil.
- 5. In a pan, add remaining of Sweet and Sour mix (saved in step 2). Bring the sauce to boil, then simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sauce get little thick.
- 6. Add in cooked chicken and coat well in the sauce.
- 7. Sweet and Sour Chicken is ready!! Remove in a bowl. Serve over rice with garnish of fresh pineapple and rice. Enjoy!