Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken
Posted By Savita
I have been waiting eagerly to share this, my very favorite, Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken with all of you.
In one line I would describe this Chinese chicken dish as lite and crispy chicken coated in sweet and sour sticky sauce! Oh me! Even describing it makes me hungry for some Chicken! yummo!
Good thing is, this recipe takes just 25 minutes start to finish! I mean, it will need more time to order a takeout and wait for the delivery than make a batch right in your own kitchen! And don't even get me started on the quality and price! (thank you) lol!
I had this recipe in mind from sometime... more than a year actually.. Just recently I got time take some clicks. So thought to share with you all.
So, let's make some chicken dinner! Shall we?!
Chinese/Indian Chicken recipes are more about sauce than protein itself!!
In my opinion, a perfect tasting sauce is the important step for getting any Asian recipe... actually any recipe, right. Don't you think?
Likewise, the heart of best tasting sweet and sour chicken is in it's sauce too. Beautiful thing is, sauce is very very simple! If you follow the recipe exactly, sauce will be ready in just 3 minutes!
Base of a rich tomato ketchup, Asian staple ginger and garlic, soy sauce, tang of vinegar and sweetness of honey. (I was after a pineapple flavor, so I also added pineapple juice.) Once all these ingredients marry together... a beautiful bright, gluteness, and shiny finger-licking sweet and sour sauce surfaces in the pan.
Not just chicken, this sauce goes great on tofu too. In-fact, I even use it to brighten-up stir-fried veggies and rice..
..all the time!
Once the sauce is ready, rest recipe is as simple as cooking chicken. Traditional sweet n sour chicken has fried chicken and I wanted to share the traditional version today so went for fried. However, when not in mood to bread and fry chicken, I often saute it in little oil and seasonings until it is crisp, caramelized and fully cooked... then just mix in sauce. A lighter version of sweet and sour chicken is ready for dinner! Wasn't difficult! Right?
So, in simple words, if you are after that traditional crispy fried chicken coated in sweet and tangy sauce.. go ahead, fry the chicken. Or if you want to avoid frying and still want to enjoy homemade Chinese-takeout! Be my guest and just saute the chicken. I'm telling you it tastes delicious either ways.
Just don't forget to serve rice on the side. To me, Chinese food does not feel complete without a serving of rice or noodles. You can opt for brown rice or whole grain noodles such as quinoa or buckwheat noodles.
Now, I can't finish this post without saying few words about the humble pineapple severing platter. :) I saw this pineapple bowl last year in Delmar Fair. Vishal had shrimp and pineapple fried rice served in pineapple bowl. I had it in mind to use for blog picture.... To my surprise, this year I saw a lot of bloggers clicking picture in pineapple bowl. Seems like a supper influencer planted the seed somewhere.. I'm just joining the party. :) It does look kinda cute. Isn't it? :)
Tip: Just so you know, pineapple shells freeze well. If you buy some pineapple, save the shell to use later!!
I hope you will enjoy this bowl full of takeout favorite Sweet and Sour Chicken with pineapple and rice.
Wish you a wonderful day!
Few more delicious chicken recipes from my recipe repertoire:
Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup Pineapple (juice)
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Agave Syrup (or honey)
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste (2 garlic cloves and one inch ginger, grated)
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 lbs Chicken (boneless and skin-less, cubed)
- 2 Egg(s)
- 5 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1/4 tsp Salt and Black Pepper
- Canola Oil (or oil of choice, for frying)
- Rice (cooked, as much as needed)
- 1 Cup Pineapple (diced, and pineapple shell (optional) for presentation )
- Green Onion (for garnish)
Sweet and Sour Chicken Sauce
Crispy Chinese (Breaded) Chicken
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Start heating oil for frying in a heavy bottom cast-iron pan. While oil is heating up, in a wide bowl, mix all of the Sweet and Sour Chicken Sauce ingredients. Whisk to combine well. Make sure honey/agave is fully mixed with other ingredients. Set aside.2. In a medium bowl, add eggs, and beat well. Season with generous pinch or two of salt and black pepper. Add cubed chicken pieces and coat well. On a large plate, or a paper bag add corn starch. Season with generous pinch or two of salt and black pepper. Add egg coated chicken and toss well to bread evenly.
Additional NotesI like to add 2 tbsp of sweet and sour sauce in egg mixture that makes chicken crust very flavorful.
3. Shallow fry breaded chicken in oil until crispy from all sides and is fully cooked.4. I fried chicken in two batches, 5-6 minutes each batch. Remove fried chicken on a paper lined plate to drain excess oil.
5. In a pan, add remaining of Sweet and Sour mix (saved in step 2). Bring the sauce to boil, then simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sauce get little thick.6. Add in cooked chicken and coat well in the sauce.
7. Sweet and Sour Chicken is ready!! Remove in a bowl. Serve over rice with garnish of fresh pineapple and rice. Enjoy!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. Please DO NOT copy content/images without prior permission. If you want to mention recipe name on your blog, link back to this post with credit to ChefDeHome for the Recipe Origin.