Baked Popcorn Chicken with Creamy Garlic Parmesan Dip
Many thanks to Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser for sponsoring this post. All opinions are mine alone. #GameTimeClean #CollectiveBias
Posted By Savita
This popcorn chicken is crispy, moist, crunchy, and has far less calories than fried popcorn chicken served in most fast food joints. Oh, and also including 5 minutes recipes for a creamy and mayo-free garlic-parmesan sauce. Let's get ready to enjoy the games!!
I love serving simple finger food for game day snacks. When living room is full of hungry football fans, crunchy finger food like popcorns or popcorn chicken disappear in minutes!! Just pass-on the bucket!! For the record, my guests are often fighting over the last popcorn in bucket! So I pop a big batch and always ready for clean ups with Viva® Vantage® towels!
The best thing about baking popcorn chicken? Just slice, dredge and bake! No perching on stove to fry multiple batches. Bonus - no need to eat fried, almost-gone-cold-and-soggy takeout popcorn chicken. How good does that sound?
Last Sunday I baked a big batch of Popcorn Chicken for game day party. When Vishal got to taste the chicken, his first reaction was - "When did you order it?" Second, "Did you boil the chicken? How come it is so moist?"
Extra Moist Baked Chicken
Well, first I did not order it. It is 100% homemade! Second, the extra moist chicken is courtesy of buttermilk-bath! :-) Thing is, if you want juicy, fried or baked, chicken, buttermilk is your best friend! Buttermilk tenderizes the chicken proteins and also, when buttermilk soaked chicken is coated in breading and cooked, the moisture stays locked inside..... Result is always perfectly moist and juicy chicken.
Baked yet Crispy Crust
Second, best thing about this snack is - 'crispy like fried chicken' or 'crunchy like popcorn' texture! This my friends, is a super easy technique of egg wash and breading. Where breadcrumbs give popcorn chicken it's signature crunchy texture, egg wash does important job of holding everything together.
Result? A big bowl full of popcorn chicken vanishing from 'game day snack table' in minutes....... leaving behind happy guests asking for more!! So make a bigger batch! Recipe doubles easily!
From food, drinks, to clean-up supplies, when hosting game parties or family pizza parties, I always like to get ready everything in advance. In my opinion, it is best to make a checklist and avoid last minute hiccups. I like to keep a clean kitchen after cooking and also after guests are gone.
When guests are coming, my kitchen is often messy. So a post-party and post-cooking cleanup is must! Stretchy-strength of fiber-packed Viva® Vantage® Towels make cleanup effortless and easy.
I served Popcorn Chicken with creamy and garlicky Parmesan Sauce. Sauce is real simple to pull together. Just put all ingredients in food processor and a minute later you have a creamy sauce t serve with chicken. Being allergic to mayo, I seldom use mayo in my kitchen! For same reason, I always have some tricks up my sleeves to get creamy mayo texture without mayo. Today, I have used some creme freche for the creaminess. If you can't find it, simply use vegetarian mayo or greek yogurt.
For extra crispy and brown texture, at end of baking, broil for additional 2 minutes. One pound chicken yields a big bowl full of popcorn chicken. Just keep munching!
Have a great day! -Savita
This delicious Collection is perfect for Game Day!
Baked Popcorn Chicken with Creamy Garlic Parmesan Dip
- 1 lbs Chicken (3-4 boneless, skinless thighs)
- 1/4 Cup Butter Milk
- 1 tsp Parsley (dried, plus some fresh for garnish)
- 2 Egg(s)
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour (for dredging)
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs (panko breadcrumbs, for breading)
- 1 tsp Paprika (divided)
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon (zest)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Oil Spray (for baking)
- 2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice, divided)
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning (or use equals part dried - basil, oregano, marjoram)
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (or use more if you like heat)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Creme Fraiche (or use vegetarian mayo)
- 2 Garlic (large cloves or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
Baked Popcorn Chicken
Garlic-Parmesan Dipping Sauce
DirectionsHide Step Photos
1. Preheat oven at 450 degree Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil, then place a wire wrack on baking sheet and set aside.
2. Cut chicken into small bite-size (big popped popcorn size) chunks. Transfer to a ziploc bag with buttermilk. Add 1/4 tsp salt, hot sauce (if using) and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Close the bag and massage the chicken. Set aside.
Additional NotesTip: For some spice kick and flavor, add 8-10 dash of your fav hot sauce in buttermilk.
3. To make garlic-parmesan dipping sauce, in a food processor combine all the ingredients and process to make a smooth creamy sauce. Remove in a bowl and set aside.4. In three wide separate bowls, add bread crumbs, eggs, and flour separately. Season breadcrumbs with 1/2 tsp paprika, lemon zest, parsley and 1/4 tsp salt. Season flour with salt and black pepper. Season egg wash with salt and pepper. (Beat eggs until smooth and not lumpy.)
Additional NotesTo insure better flavor, it is very important to season both flours and breadcrumbs.
5. Spray wire rack on baking sheet with cooking spray. With clean hands, transfer buttermilk chicken in flour and coat well. Transfer flour coated chicken to egg wash and then to bread crumbs. Keep placing bread crumb coated pieces on wire rack spacing at-least 1/2 inch apart. To avoid mess, keep one hand for wet and one for dry ingredients.
Additional NotesTo avoid mess, keep one hand for wet and one for dry ingredients.6. Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until chicken is golden, crispy and fully cooked.
7. Transfer chicken to a platter and serve with parmesan dipping sauce. Enjoy!!
© Chef De Home. All contents and images are copyright protected. DO NOT copy or re-use content/images/videos. For all content/post mentions with link back, contact ChefDeHome for permission.