Chicken Caesar Salad with Asparagus
Posted By Savita
This recipe for Chicken Caesar Salad - is a healthier and more delicious take on classic Italian romaine Caesar salad with blanched asparagus and crunchy roasted chickpeas croutons! Gluten free, and packed with nutrients!
I call it, Chicken Caesar 2.0!
Chicken Caesar Salad is an amazingly crunchy, garlicky, and fresh salad! With nutty parmesan and moist cooked chicken.. this salad is dream-come-true for Chicken Salad lovers.
During Spring-summer season, we eat lot more salads for dinners and this salad is often on our weekday menu. I like to prepare a batch of Caesar dressing on weekend, and grill some or use rotisserie chicken. On weekdays, salad comes together as soon as I have the asparagus ready!
Oh, and need I say, it looks darn delicious too?! Imagine serving a salad this bold for a dinner party! It will win you lot of applause, for sure!
- 1/2 lbs Chicken (boneless chicken breast)
- 1 Bunch Asparagus (washed and bottom 1/4 trimmed)
- 2 Lettuce (romaine hearts, 6 ounce by weight, washed and small chopped)
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese (use more or less per preference )
- 1/3 Cup Caesar Dressing (**I used homemade, recipe link in notes.)
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil (2 and 1 tbsps divided)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Chickpeas (cooked, i used 8 ounce can of low-sodium chickpeas, rinsed)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon (juice)
Asparagus Chicken Caesar Salad
- 1. Roast Chickpeas: Preheat oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Pat dry rinsed chickpeas with a paper towel. In a bowl, toss chickpeas with 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic powder, lemon juice, and generous few pinches of salt and black pepper (as per taste). Spread on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and bake for 22-28 minutes, or until chickpeas have browned and crunchy. Watch carefully for last few minutes to avoid burning.
- 2. Blanch Asparagus: In a wide bowl (that can hold asparagus), add water and ice. Set aside. Bring a pot of water to rolling boil, season with salt. Drop in asparagus and cook for 5 minutes. Then immediately shock it in cold water to stop cooking. Remove from water when cold to touch and set aside.
Prepare Chicken: Heat grill or a heavy bottom pan. If chicken breasts are very thick, slice them lengthwise in half or pound with meat-pounder. Massage 1 tbsp oil on chicken. Season with salt and black pepper. Place chicken on grill and cook each side for 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Additional Notes:Thicker piece of meat will take longer to cook. Make sure chicken is cooked fully.
- 4. Assemble Chicken Caesar Salad: On a salad platter, place asparagus and top with chopped lettuce romaine. Top with sliced grilled chicken, drizzle ** Caesar dressing on top. Sprinkle grated parsmean cheese. Top with roasted chickpeas. Serve and enjoy!