Chipotle Tofu Sofritas Vegetarian Enchiladas
Vegetarian Spiced Tofu enchiladas loaded with flavor and a vegan enchilada sauce!
Posted By Savita
This vegetarian enchilada recipe is my favorite for many reasons: bold Mexican flavors, stuffing of my favorite Chipotle Tofu Sofritas, delicious greens - asparagus and spinach, and are slathered in a homemade rich and cream Cashew Cream Red Enchilada Sauce!
Oh, and you can easily make these vegetarian enchilada "vegan"! More on this ahead!
Keeping promise of Mexican food week! I couldn't think of finishing the week without a hearty vegetarian dinner recipe. In my home, when we talk vegetarian + Mexican + easy then Chipotle Sofritas tops the chart. Hands down my favorite tofu recipe ever!
A lot of people ask me "what are your favorites from your blog recipes?" By far, Tofu Sofritas is something that I crave for every other week! We avoid eating out on weekdays.. So when Vishal opt to eat chicken, I prefer sofritas if I have a can of chipotle and Tofu in hand.
- 14-15 Cashew (nuts, or 2 tablespoon cashew butter)
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Garlic (cloves)
- 1.5 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 8-10 Tortillas (medium, wheat or corn (gluten free) tortillas)
- 1/2 Bunch Asparagus (end trimmed, blanched)
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese (white cheddar, or vegan cheese, both optional)
- 200 Grams Spinach (frozen, thawed, water squeezed)
- 1-2 Lime (cut into wedges, for serving)
- Salsa (fresh pico de gayo, for serving)
Cashew Cream Sauce
- 1. Follow recipe here to make Chipotle Sofritas.
For Enchilada Sauce: Boil cashews, and yellow onion with water for 10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Drain water. In a food processor, grind onion-cashew, 1/4 cup water, tomato paste and garlic to a paste.
Additional Notes:If using cashew butter, only boil onion and DON'T boil butter.
- 3. Heat oil in saute pan, add ground paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add all spices. Mix well. Cook until sauce thickens. (1-2 minutes) Mix in vinegar and salt. Set aside.
- 4. To make enchiladas, preheat oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 5. In a casserole dish, layer a hearty amount of sauce at the bottom. Take one warm tortilla at a time. Slather some sauce, fill with spinach, asparagus, and sofritas. Fold and place in casserole on top of the sauce. Repeat with remaining 8-9 tortillas, and any remaining sauce. Add cheese (if using).
- 6. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and sauce is bubbling. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes before serving!